"Hey" A soft voice greeted me as I opened my eyes "Long time, no see"

"Huh?" I rolled over and rubbed my eyes "Ash?" Her long,blonde hair was swept over her shoulder in a elegant braid with soft tendrils hanging down in loose curls, framing her face. The sprinkling of freckles that were dotted across her nose stood out more now. She was wearing tight, skinny jeans that were ripped at the knees and a floaty, white top, accompanied by heeled, strappy boots.

"How are you?" She asked, her fingers locking with mine "I missed you a lot"

"I missed you too" I bought our clasped hands to my chest "What are you doing here?"

"Am I not allowed to visit my best friend?" She smiled "You look so different"

"In a good or bad way?"

"Well, you're way too skinny for my liking" She sighed "But you look more mature... Jake, what actually happened to you?"

"Ash-"

"Tell me, I'm your best friend! I'm not going to judge you!"

"I got kidnapped..." I trailed off "By my Pa-Mum's crazy ex"

"Jake" She frowned "You wasn't going to say 'Mum', I know you"

"Fine" I sighed "My real parents are dead, they died when I was 5 in a car crash. At the hospital I met 2 men, a gay couple, they adopted me" I closed my eyes and waited

"Why would you keep that from me?! We've been best friends for years and you couldn't even tell me about your parents?! Jake-"

"This is why I didn't tell anyone, Ash!" I yelled "BECAUSE I WANTED TO HAVE A FRIEND! MY LIFE WAS HELL AT PRIMARY SCHOOL BECAUSE EVERYONE LEFT ME TO JOIN THE BULLIES! I DIDN'T WANT TO BE THAT KID ANYMORE, ASH! NOW YOU KNOW, YOU CAN TELL EVERYONE ELSE AND LEAVE ME LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DID!"

"Are you finished?"

"Yes... no.... maybe... I don't know" I sighed

"Jake, do you think I care if you're adopted or not? I don't. It just hurts that after all those years you lied to me, Jake"

"Everyone else who knew didn't like it, Ash" I said in a small voice "I was just scared of losing you"

"Jake, I wouldn't stop being friends with you over something so stupid. As long as your family love and care for you, that's what matters. Screw what gender they are. Now budge over, I want to hug you"

I smiled and sat up, shuffling over so there was enough room for her to squeeze in. She sat on top of me, her legs bracketing my thighs, and wrapped her arms around me tightly. I buried my head in the crook of her neck, inhaling her sweet, flowery smell. She planted numerous kisses on my forehead.

"You never told us you had a girlfriend, Jake" I heard Dad say behind me. Startled, Ash twisted around and flopped down beside me, blushing.

"Dad" I groaned "She isn't my girlfriend"

"Sure" Dad smirked "What's her name?"

"Ashleigh" I answered "Dad, she's just my friend"

"None of my lady friends were that 'friendly' with me" He grinned "Nice to meet you, Ashleigh"

"Dad, just shut up" I sighed

"That isn't very nice He pouted "Anyway, Papa's having a check up. When he comes back, I'm going for my scan, okay?"

"Okay, will he be in a mood?"

"Probably, you know what he's like after a check up... right, I gotta go find him"