"You look beautiful" I smiled as Gabrielle opened her front door to greet me. Her hair was piled up on top of her head in a messy bun.She was wearing an oversized jumper which hung off one shoulder, exposing her collarbone. Her legs were bare but she still managed to look effortlessly beautiful.

"Jake, what's wrong?" She asked worriedly "Also, keep your voice down or you'll wake my family"

"Sorry" I whispered. Did I mention it was the middle of the night? "Nothing's wrong"

"Jake, why else would you be at my house in the middle of the night?" She folded her arms

"I just wanted to see you.... and get out of my house"

"Why?" Her eyes narrowed "Jake, if you don't tell me what's wrong, I'll call your parents" I let my mind flick back to my parents and without warning burst into tears. "Jake, what happened?!" She wrapped her arms around me, I let myself cry on her shoulder. "Is it about your dad?" She asked softly.

"Y-yeah" I mumbled.

"Lets go to my room" She kissed the corner of my mouth and led me up to her bedroom, quietly shutting each door we passed.

She pushed me down onto her bed and sat on my lap, running her hands through my hair soothingly. She kissed me lovingly.

"Jake, tell me what happened" She rested her forehead against mine.

"I woke up because Dad was coughing. It sounded awful, Gabs. It sounded like he was choking on something. I could hear Papa crying too. It sounded like he was begging my dad to...."

"To?"

"To stay alive, Gabs" I buried my head in her shoulder "I heard him call for an ambulance and that's when I left. I don't want to see my dad dying-"

"Jake, you don't know if he's dying" Gabrielle interrupted "Call your papa, right now. He's probably worried sick, especially if your dad has been admitted into hospital"

"Gabs, I can't..."

"Give me your phone" I gave it to her and she called Papa "Do you want it on loudspeaker or not?" She asked gently.

"Loudspeaker" I mumbled. Gabrielle kissed my temple and placed my phone beside us. Papa answered on the third ring.

"Jake, where the hell are you?!" He asked "Your dad and I have been worried sick"

"If you were that worried, you would have called" I snapped before I could stop myself

"Jake!" Gabrielle hissed

"Is that Gabrielle? Thank god you're safe" Papa exhaled "Jake, I'm sorry, okay? You're not the only thing I've been worrying about"

"Is Dad okay?" I asked quietly "I heard him coughing, Papa"

"Is that why you left?"

"I thought he was dying, Papa"

"Jake, I promise he isn't dying. He's doing okay, honey. Hey babe, Jake is on the phone Do you want to talk to him?"

"Hey, Jake" Dad greeted. His voice was hoarse and a little raspy "Are you alright?"

"I'm okay, are you?"'

"I'm fine, sweetie. Where are you?"

"At Gabrielle's" I answered "I was scared you was dying, Dad. I didn't know what else to do!"

"I'm not mad" He said softly "I was just worried about you"

"Dad, what ward are you in? I'll come to you-"

"No, honey. Stay at Gabrielle's. I'll call you in the morning, okay? Get some sleep, Jake"

"I'll try, g'night"

"I love you"

"I love you too" I ended the call and looked up at Gabrielle "Please kiss me"

"How am I going to explain to my parent how you arrived?"

"Tell them the truth, or I will if you want" I captured her lips between mine "I love you, thank you"

"I love you too. What for?"

"Just for being here for me"

"Anytime, goodnight, Jake"