The Secret Teacher (Marone)

Inspired by 'The Phantom of the Opera'

~~~~~~

 It was another successful night at the opera house. Everyone loved the theater's new leading lady. No one had known at first who she was, but now everyone knew her as Miss Simone Simons, one of the most lovely soprano voices they has ever heard.

 After the performance, Simone was told she had received a visitor in her dressing room. It was her dear friend Oliver, giving her his radiant smile.

 "Welcome back, Mr. Palotai," she said with a smile. "How was your trip?"

 "Terrible," he said. "Absolutely boring and dreadful. I can't tell you how glad I am to be back. I was hoping to see you when I returned. You were fantastic out there, Simone."

 "Thank you. I suppose it was lucky for me, really," she said, "That the other lady was ill and couldn't perform, and I already knew the part. Once I showed I could do it, I got myself the part."

 "I would say you earned it," Oliver said. "I did come to ask you, perhaps we could go out to dinner one night? I've missed your company."

 Simone nodded. "Of course. Perhaps tomorrow night. I'll see you then."

 Once she had ushered him out of the room and closed the door, she smiled to herself.

 "It's good that you sent him away so quickly."

 Simone was startled by the sound of the voice. It sounded like it had come from within the mirror against the wall. But she wasn't afraid; she knew the voice very well.

 "I'm sorry if Mr. Palotai was a problem," Simone said. "He is-"

 "An old friend. I know. He seemed to be very impressed by your performance tonight. I trust he knows nothing?"

 "Of course not. I could not tell him our secret, could I?"

 "It is better that you do not. He would never understand. You know that. And what would become of us then?" 

 "But he and I can still be friends?" Simone asked.

 "If you wish. Now, do go home, Simone. We can continue with your lessons tomorrow."

 "Do I really need more lessons? I'm already doing well, and-"

 "There is always something more for a singer to learn. And Simone, before you go..."

 Simone waited. "Yes?" 

 "You did ask me once if you could have a name to call me by."

 "I remember."

 "I thought you would. You...may call me Mark." 

 Simone nodded. "Well, good night, Mark."

 "Good night, Simone. We'll speak again tomorrow."

 Simone quietly left the dressing room, disappointed that she couldn't too close with Oliver, but happy to have a name to call her secret teacher by.