A Kiss Under The Stars (Tarjette)

"Thanks for inviting me tonight," Anette said as Tarja sat down next to her. "You were right about having a great view from your backyard."

 "Well, you know I wouldn't have lied to you about that," said Tarja. "It's always nice to sit out here on the warmer nights."

 Tarja had invited Anette to spend some time together at her house. On summer nights like this, once the sun had gone down and the sky darkened, all the stars began to come out. Sometimes when she had the chance, Tarja would sit outside and watch the sky change as the sun set.

 "This is incredible," said Anette, looking up at the sky in awe. "Who would have thought there could be so many stars in the sky at once, huh?"

 Tarja nodded. "I know. It's beautiful, isn't it?"

 Anette nodded absently. "Yeah. It sure is."

 Tarja couldn't help grinning at her friend. She knew this was something Anette would enjoy, which was why she invited her to visit. And seeing her smile made Tarja want to smile.

 "So?" she said. "It's a nice night, isn't it?"

 Anette nodded again. "Mm-hmm. Not too cold, either." 

 "Yeah, but it can still get chilly." When she said it, Tarja realized it was a little cold that night. She zipped up her jacket and crossed her arms.

 "You okay?" Anette asked.

 "Yeah. It's just a little cold."

 Anette moved a little closer to Tarja, so they were shoulder-to-shoulder, and leaned her head against hers.

 "Are you sure you're okay tonight?" Anette asked. "You seem nervous. I didn't do anything, did I?"

 "No, of course not. You haven't done anything besides be a great friend, Anette."

 "Oh. Well, thank you. So, nothing's wrong, then?"

 Tarja wanted to tell her everything was perfectly fine, but she wasn't sure that was true. There were things she had thought about, things she wanted to say, wanted to do.

 Tarja turned her head and gave Anette a soft kiss on the lips. It was only a few short seconds, though, before she pulled away. She knew she had definitely taken Anette by surprise, since she didn't pull away or try to kiss her back. She gave Tarja a look of surprise when the kiss was over.

 "You didn't want me coming over just to look at the stars, did you?" she asked.

 Tarja shrugged. "I guess not."

 Several seconds went by without either of them saying anything else. 

 "Is that it, then?" Anette asked. "One awesome kiss, and then an awkward silence." She laughed. "Oh, don't look at me like that, I'm teasing. I like you, too, but I wouldn't want to mess up our friendship."

 "What should we do, then?" Tarja asked.

 "Why don't take it slow? You know, a few dates, maybe a stolen kiss here and there. Let's see what happens, shall we? We'll find out if we're better off as friends, or if there could be something else there."

 Tarja nodded. "Okay. I like that idea."

 "Okay." Anette wrapped her arm around her, and they looked up at the stars together.