Scandals (Simonen)

Simone sat by the edge of the lake, waiting. The sun was setting now, the sunset colors painting the sky. Where could Tarja be? Simone would have thought she would be here by now. But of course, she had probably been held up with something, and was busy. There always seemed to be something that had to be done.

 Simone watched the colors in the sky as the sun began to go down. It was on an evening like this that she had first met Tarja. It was at one of those society parties she had never had any interest in, yet usually had to attend anyway, being a lady of society. It was there she had spotted a beautiful black-haired woman in a bright blue gown. She was smiling, and had the loveliest smile Simone had ever seen.

 But it wasn't genuine, it wasn't real. That beautiful woman with the lovely smile looked like she wanted to be somewhere far away. Simone had given so many people that exact same smile more times than she could remember. But when she approached the woman and they began to talk, they both smiled real smiles, ones they couldn't say they gave often.

 That was months ago. And now here Simone was, meeting in secret with Tarja, the woman she had met that day. They had called upon each other many times in the weeks that followed, but did not spend too much time together, given they didn't want to raise any suspicions.

 "Simone?"

 Tarja came running over as fast as she could in her shoes. Her hat was falling off, her bun messy, and her red dress seemed to match the sky. And she looked gorgeous.

 "I was beginning to worry," Simone said, standing up. "Has anything bad happened?"

 "No, of course not," Tarja answered. "I ran because I wanted to get here before it grew too dark."

 "We do not have much time, then. It will be dark soon."

 Tarja smiled. "Then let's enjoy our time together."

 Simone smiled back, and they kissed passionately.

 "We could run away," Simone said later, as they sat together by the lake.

 "I could not," Tarja said, "And neither could you. You know that."

 She sighed. "I suppose you're right. I wish we did not have to meet in secret for the rest of our lives."

 "Well...maybe someday we'll run away together. We could, couldn't we?"

 "Of course we could," Simone answered. "I think as long as we were together, we could figure out what to do together."

 Eventually, the two women had to say their goodbyes and part ways, with promises to see each other again soon.

 They were both married to important men, which made them both important ladies. Both had busy schedules of balls and events, but each one would only be interested if the other were there.

 This was wrong of them to do, and they knew it. Yet they couldn't help themselves.

 They had fallen in love.