The Argument (Floorja)

"Floor, the answer is no!" 

 "But you haven't even-" 

 "No! I don't know what's been going on in your head today, but you're getting too ahead of yourself." 

 There was no doubt that any of Tarja Turunen's neighbors would have heard her yelling at someone, and then the sound of her front door slamming shut. If anyone happened to look out their window to see what was going on, they would see Floor Jansen, Tarja's girlfriend, standing on the side walk outside Tarja's house, looking quite upset, and maybe a little angry. 

 The origin of the current argument was this: Tarja and Floor had been dating for a few months, and they were very happy going out together. On this particular afternoon, they had gone for a walk in a nearby park. The topic of how well their relationship was going happened to come up in a conversation, and Floor said, "You know, we should get married." 

 Tarja had stopped in her tracks and stared at her. "What?" 

 "Well, not right now; it hasn't been too long. But maybe sometime, right? I mean, imagine that." 

 Whatever Tarja imagined didn't seem to quite pair up with what Floor had in mind, because Tarja seemed to be under the impression that Floor had suddenly gone crazy. She didn't say much for the rest of the walk, and when they were leaving the park, Floor stopped her to ask her what was wrong. 

 "Why would you suddenly bring up getting married?" Tarja asked her sharply. 

 "I...well, I don't know. It kind of just came to mind." Floor didn't know how else to answer. 

 Tarja sighed and started to walk away, and Floor went to catch up with her. 

 That brings us to when Tarja angrily went into her house and Floor was left alone on the sidewalk. Floor didn't know what she should do next. Should she leave? Should she stick and try to figure out how she was supposed to apologize?

 Floor sat down on the sidewalk to think. Tarja had been married once before, before she and Floor got together. Maybe she didn't want to think about another marriage since her last one hadn't ended so well. Could that be why she was having a meltdown over Floor's suggestion? Floor could understand it (though she personally thought Tarja had overreacted a little). 

 While she was thinking this over, Floor heard Tarja's front door open. 

 "I'm a little surprised you didn't leave," Tarja said. 

 Floor shrugged. "Well, I'm a little surprised no one called the police when they heard you screaming." 

 She saw a smile tugging at Tarja's mouth at that one. 

 "Look, I'm sorry that whatever I said upset you," Floor went on. 

 Tarja shook her head. "I think I should be apologizing. I overreacted. I don't want to think about getting married again right now, but you only made an innocent suggestion." 

 Floor held her arms open, and Tarja hugged her. When she pulled away, she was smiling. 

 "It's almost dinnertime," Tarja said. "Why don't you come join me? I'd meant to ask you earlier." 

 Floor smiled. "Okay, then. And I think we should move on to another topic at the meal table." 

 They both went inside, and this time there was no slamming of doors to be heard.