Their Dark Secret (Marone)

A sequel to 'The Secret Teacher'

~~~~~~

 The next night, Simone slipped into her dressing room and locked the door.

 "Mark?" she called softly. "Are you there?" When there was no reply, she called again, "Mark?"

 She received no answer. Assuming he wasn't there, she sighed and sat down, pulling off the uncomfortable shoes she'd had to wear for the night's performance.

 "It's strange," she suddenly heard, "To hear you say that."

 She looked up. "Mark?"

 "Exactly that. It's strange to hear you say my name."

 "Is that your real name?" she asked.

 "Yes, it is. I thought perhaps after all of the time you have spent calling me 'sir', you should have a real name to call me by. We are friends now, are we not?"

 "Of course we are," Simone answered. "You helped me learn to sing, and you became my friend. And I've kept our secret like you asked me to."

 "Ah. And you mean that we've helped each other as friends do. I suppose you're right."

 Simone looked around the room. His voice seemed to be coming from somewhere within the room, but she couldn't see him.

 "You're looking for me, aren't you?" he asked.

 She looked down at the floor and nodded. "Yes, I was."

 "Oh, don't look so guilty, Simone," he said in an amused tone. "There's nothing wrong with you being a little curious. If I were in your place, I would be curious myself."

 "I've just wondered what you look like," she said. "It's hard to imagine you in my head without having any idea what you look like."

 "You wonder sometimes if I'm even real, don't you?"

 She jumped up from her chair. "How do you know that?"

 "Because I can see you, Simone. You've obviously wondered if I'm real, and not a dream. If you are interested, I do have an idea as to how I can show I'm real."

 "How?" she asked, sounding a little more eager than she was trying to sound.

 "Turn around, facing the door."

 Simone turned around to face the opposite side of the room. In the silence, she could hear the sound of footsteps on the soft carpet. She wanted to turn around again, but stayed still.

 "You don't have to be afraid," she heard from behind her. "I'm not going to hurt you."

 "How are you going to prove you're real?"

 "I'm getting to that. Keep looking straight ahead. Don't look back."

 Simone stayed where she was, but nearly jumped in a mixture of surprise and fright when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

 "That's you, isn't it?" she asked.

 "Yes. It's me."

 Without look back, she lifted her own hand, and laid it on top of his.

 There was a light rapping on the door. "Simone?"

 "It's Oliver," she whispered.

 "Answer it," Mark whispered back. "He won't see me."

 Simone unlocked the door and slowly opened it. "Hello, Oliver. What brings you here?"

 He looked a little confused. "We were going to have dinner tonight. Remember?"

 She sighed. Now she remembered. "Of course. Give me a few more minutes, and I'll meet you outside."

 She closed the door and waited until she could hear Oliver's retreating footsteps, and then she called, "Mark? Are you still here?"

 But she received no reply. She sighed again, and went to get ready for dinner.