Drowsiness (Jandahl)

"Okay, sweetie." Floor Jansen yawned as she carried her daughter Freja up the stairs. "I think it's definitely time for bed. Come to think of it, you probably should have gone to bed sooner." 

 "Do you want to me to hold her?" Hannes asked, coming up the stairs behind her. 

 "No, it's okay. I've got her," Floor answered. She let Hannes open the door to Freja's room, and Floor tucked their sleeping daughter in. "There, finally." 

 "It looks like we're definitely going to have to start giving her a specific bedtime," Hannes pointed out. "She wears out her parents more than she realizes, you especially. Are you okay?" 

 Floor nodded and yawned again. "Yeah. I'm fine. I'm just a little drowsy, I guess. She really does wear you out when she gets excited, doesn't she?" 

 Floor and Hannes loved being able to have days like that with their daughter, where they could just relax and be a family, the three of them. However, little Freja was turning out to be a very energetic toddler, more than either of her parents had anticipated. Floor had been worn out pretty fast, and was now exhausted. 

 "Bedtime does sound pretty good now," she said. "She's definitely going to be inspiring her mother to go to bed early." 

 "Hey, her dad's a little worn out, too," Hannes replied. "Who knew two-years-olds can get pretty wild when they feel like it?" 

 Floor smiled. "I don't think she's that wild, Hannes." 

 "Well, she sure seems like it to me. I thought she'd never go to sleep. Can you imagine that?" 

 "I'd rather not," Floor said. "I think I want to go to bed."

 The couple went to their own room, and Floor immediately flopped down on the bed. 

 "Not even pajamas, huh?" Hannes asked with a smile. 

 She grunted. "In a minute. You know, I was thinking. I do like the idea of having more kids, and I know we talked about a few times." 

 "Yeah. I hear a 'but' in there somewhere." 

 "Because there is. I think we should wait until we're better with handling the one we already have." 

 "Yeah, I think you do have a point there," Hannes agreed. "Christ, can you imagine what two energetic toddlers would be like? Imagine if we had twins instead of just one kid."

 Hannes didn't get any reply to that remark. Floor had already fallen asleep, and wouldn't wake up until the morning.