The Summer Picnic

(A/N: The above song is "Better Together" by Jack Johnson, and is meant to be listened to during this chapter. In my opinion it is best to listen to the song during the <> indicators of the chapter and follow along with the lyrics. This chapter was put in partly due to the wonderful writer CaddyCorner  telling me how much she and others loved the chapters with songs. I hope that I did a good job with this one.)

-Jack's POV-

*buzz buzz*

I was wrapping up my last video of the day when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

Mark: Come down to the kitchen when you have a few minutes. I have a surprise for you. 😊

Feeling confused I finished up my work and walked down the stairs. Turning into the kitchen I saw on the table a large picnic basket and a note.

Meet me out in the backyard. Please bring the basket. It has our lunch in it. I love you.

I sighed happily and looked inside the basket. It was full of sandwiches, chips and two large pieces of strawberry shortcake. 

I truly have the most wonderful fiancé.

I picked up the basket and headed outside. Right in my line of sight I saw a large red checkered blanket laying underneath the tall oak tree in Mark's backyard. As I got closer I saw a small ice bucket with a bottle of sparkling apple cider.

I sat down on the blanket, placed the basket next to me, and looked around. There was no sign of him anywhere. I pulled out my phone.

Me: Am I eating by myself then? Lol.

Then in the far distance of the yard I began to hear music from a guitar. It was very soft at first, but became louder as he got closer to me.

His guitar playing has improved so much in the past couple of months. By the time he reached me I was lost in his eyes and in the music.

<>

He began to walk in lazy circles around me as I sat there looking up at him as he strummed, my heart feeling like it would fly away completely.

"There is no combination of words I could put on the back of a postcard.
No song that I could sing, but I can try for your heart.
Our dreams, and they are made out of real things.
Like a, shoe box of photographs,
With sepia-toned loving."

"Love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart.
Like why are we here? And where do we go?
And how come it's so hard?
It's not always easy and
Sometimes life can be deceiving.
I'll tell you one thing, it's always better when we're together."

"Mmm. It's always better when we're together.
Yeah, we'll look at the stars when we're together.
Well, it's always better when we're together.
Yeah, it's always better when we're together."

He stopped walking and bent down on one knee in front of me, and mouthed "I love you so much" as the instrumental began. I could feel myself swaying from side to side as he leaned in closer, the words warming my soul.

How I love this man, with every single part of everything I am.

"And all of these moments
Just might find their way into my dreams tonight.
But I know that they'll be gone,
When the morning light sings,
And brings new things.
For tomorrow night you see,
That they'll be gone too.
Too many things I have to do."

"But if all of these dreams might find their way
Into my day to day scene.
I'd be under the impression.
I was somewhere in between,
With only two.
Just me and you.
Not so many things we got to do,
Or places we got to be
We'll sit beneath the mango tree now."

"Yeah, it's always better when we're together.
We're somewhere in between together.
Well, it's always better when we're together.
Yeah, it's always better when we're together."

He got up slowly and motioned for me to get up too as he hummed. I giggled and did as he asked. He pointed to me to lean against the tree trunk. I smiled and once I was there, he did a silly little two step with his feet, and I laughed. Then he leaned forward and gave me a quick kiss on the lips, and winked as he continued.

"I believe in memories.
They look so, so pretty when I sleep.
Hey now, and when I wake up,
You look so pretty sleeping next to me.
But there is not enough time,
And there is no, no song I could sing.
And there is no combination of words I could say,
But I will still tell you one thing.
We're better together."

I was tearing up at this point, and he touched his forehead next to mine. I felt my eyes close as he played the last notes of the song. The final strum of the guitar echoed through the empty spaces of the backyard, and as I opened my eyes again, there he was, still looking back at me.

"I love you more than anything, Sean," he whispered softly, his dark brown eyes also full of tears. "Thank you so much."

"For what?" I asked, trying and failing not to cry.

"For being the other part of my soul."