Christmas

Well it's been a crazy month, I haven't made it to any games since Rob has been injured and not playing anyways. Now it's Christmas, and I'm feeling lots of guilt that Rob is in his house alone and here I am enjoying my Christmas craziness with the family. 

"Are you two planning to drag out this engagement" Tami asked. 

"Well, I don't want to get married this Spring, it's just too soon. So likely next Spring, and yeah, I just want more time to work on our relationship before we get married" I said, "there's still a lot to figure out, and we're not in a rush. I want to make sure we have an extremely solid foundation."

My phone rang, "this is Rob I should probably take it" I said walking into my office. 

"Hey babe" I said sitting down. 

"I miss you" Rob said and I can hear the longing in his voice, "merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas" I said, "I feel bad that we haven't gotten to spend any time together since you proposed."

"While I'm not playing, it's good for you to work" Rob said, "and I know you hate the cold."

"You're right, I do hate the cold. But I do miss getting to snuggle up with you in bed" I said. 

"God, I miss you, do you know how long it's been since we had sex?" Rob asked. 

"Since the Wednesday after you got hurt" I said

"Exactly, it's been over a month" Rob said "and you know, talking to you on the phone just isn't the same as us sitting and having coffee in the morning."

"I know it's been over a month Rob" I said starting to feel pressured. 

"I just miss you" Rob said, "but you need to be with your family, and I have football. We'll celebrate later."

"I love you" I said feeling guilty. 

"I love you too" Rob said, "any chance I can have one Christmas gift a little early?"

"Rob, it's Christmas, not exactly the time for phone sex" I said with a laugh. 

"I'm just worried our sex life is going to be back at square one when we see each other again" Rob said. 

"It might be, but we'll have fun putting it back together" I said "I feel more secure with you now than I ever have."

"Secure enough to talk about getting married this Spring?" Rob asked. 

"Next Spring, I want to work on seriously building our relationship" I said. 

"Next Spring, you're right, it's important we work on the foundation of our relationship more" Rob said repeating me, "And are we working on a date?"

"Not yet" I said, "but I think we'll figure it out."

"And what are you wearing, Ms. Caroline Sandy?" Rob asked. 

"Rob" I said with a laugh, "I can't do this right now."

"Okay, I just thought it was worth a shot" Rob said with a laugh. "I miss you, and I love you."

"I miss and love you too" I said, "I'm looking forward to getting to spend some quality time with you."

"Caroline, that's what I want to talk to you about. I talked to Sam and Max, and I know you all normally spend New Year's at the lake" Rob said, "it's going to be my first game back on the 30th. And then I'm going to be working towards the tournament."

"And, don't you want me there to support you?"

"I'm thinking maybe you should go to the lake and spend New Year's with Sam and Max. Then when my season is over, we can take some time to relax together" Rob said, "it's just not fair to you to come in and me be focused on football."

"But didn't you just say you miss me?" I asked confused, "and that we haven't had sex in over a month. You come visit me when I'm working, I want to be there for you."

"I did, but I also know that family holidays are important to you, and I don't want to take that away from you" Rob said "you just have fun."

"Rob, you've already taken that away from me, think about it you work on Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. I wanted you here for all those things, I want you to want to be including in my family traditions" I said "and I know that you have to work and I understand that. But I'm okay with missing New Year's to be with you, I want to compromise too."

"I want to, but I can't be right now. In the future I'll get to have that time with you but not now. So I want you to take New Year's to do your thing, maybe you can fly up here on the first or second for a twenty four hour turn around?"

"Yeah, that sounds good" I said. "If you're okay with that?"

"Babe, I love you and I miss you, but it's silly for you to be here" Rob said. "I appreciate you wanting to compromise for me, but save it for another time."