forty nine

Monday and I'm stuck listening to Professor Brown's lecture about how important literature is.

As soon as the bell rang, I made my way out, only causing me to bump into Connor.

"Hey!" He greeted me, his green eyes warm against my hazel ones.

I felt bad for not spending time with him anymore since I'm the only one he knows here in CUNY.

"What's up? I'm sorry I didn't had the chance to spend any time with you" I frowned.

"No its okay, have you found any part time jobs or internship of any sort?" He asks,

I shook my head, "I haven't I'm still in my adjustment phase" I chuckled. Its true though, I'm still adjusting, its only the mid of August.

"Well let me know if you did. I have this cool offer down in Chicago but I think I'll pass it. Its too far and I don't think I could do it, I don't know, its not my thing but maybe you want it I could recommend you, if you like?"

"I'll think about it" I nodded.

4:21 pm and I'm alone in my room, reading a novel, I yawned a couple of times and I can't stop staring at my phone if I have any messages.

Do you ever just lay quiet and drown in your thoughts while you wait for someone to text you or call you and you can't stop checking your phone every second?

I feel so paranoid on why he hasn't contacted me yet.

"Were Dating" He said to me, he must be joking, right?

Part of me wants to believe him and tell him to not go to this dating phase and just get married right away and be dumb all the way but a part of me is guilty, guilty for knowing the truth about all of this..that this is not supposed to happen. This isn't right.

I sighed at thought of me being stupid.

"Phoebe?" A sweet voice calling my name from the other side of the door shook me back to reality,

"Yeah? come in," I laid my back on my bed's headboard,

"Hey!" Amber beamed opening the for halfway before letting herself in,

"What's up? do you need anything?"

"Uh-actually" She seated herself on the edge of my bed,

My heart is about to pop out of my chest, did she knew about Luke spending the night here? were there cameras in the yard?

"Its about your initiation. I just wanted to make sure that you're not backing out or you're not you know..falling or whatever" She scoffs before laughing.

"I uh-"

"Your backing out?!" She almost screamed,

I shook my head, "I didn't say that but-"

"Good. I'll see you later then!" She winks at me before exiting my room.

-

"Luke I'm here, where are you?" it took me 30 minutes to find my way to the basketball gym, its 1:39 am and I don't know why he wants me to meet him there. Is he even serious? "Luke!" I groaned on the phone why is he not talking? "I can't see you its too dark!" I whined when suddenly, half of the basketball gym lit up with lights, almost blinding me.

"I'm here!" His voice echoes all the way,

"Shhh! Someone could see us!" I panicked.

"Don't worry! They don't go here until 5 were safe!" He raises his thumbs up as he gestures me to go towards him.

I followed, "Come here!" He smiles hugging me tight.

Who is this guy? What has he done to Luke? I can't notice him anymore for how much he has changed, is this even possible? This so new.

"What are we going to do here?" I mumbled on his chest,

"What does it look like?" He smirks pulling away, leading me towards the bleachers,

Pizza and beer.

"Pizza and beer?" I smirked, "What? you're planning to get me drunk and rape me?" I joked as we sit down.

He shook his head, "Uh-uh coke for you and beer for me," He smiles.

He handed me a coke in can and opened it for me.

I took a sip, "What is this for?"

"I didn't got to take you out, remember?"

I nodded.

"Since its late I decided to just take you on a date, here"

"Hmm, makes sense" I smiled taking another sip of my cola,

"So, tell me what happened that night?" I took a bite of my pizza and so did he,

He shook his head.

"Then I'll head back" I gestured to stand up making him grab my hand,

"Fine" He sighs, "I was preparing for our date, you see..Michael told me to get reservations, flowers, chocolates and the fuck I don't know. Anyways I tried to ask 5 or was it 6 fucking 5 star restaurants but they're all booked until next year so I was pissed and decided to take you somewhere else, I burrowed Calum's car but it was in a repair shoo downtown and the dick owner wouldn't let me claim Cal's car because I'm not the fucking owner so I ended up almost bashing his head but I didn't so I kept calling Calum but he wouldn't answer because he was busy being stoned in the party and then when I was about to call you my phone died, tough luck huh? but then when I was walking these two men ganged up on me and tried to rob me and get my phone and then I fought them after that I ran my way back to CUNY because there is no bus or cab anywhere!" He explained and my hear legitimately sank down like a burning battle ship.

"H-how? Michael?"

He cleared his throat like he slipped about him telling me about Michael helping him.

"I uh-" He rubbed the back of his neck,

"Was he the reason why you knew I'll be studying to CUNY?"

He shook his head, "No no! he's not but mainly yes! but it was a long story. I never wanted to go to CUNY I never wanted to go to college either, but, when I forced him to tell me and I knew you were going to be here I uh-"

"I knew I was also supposed to be here" He laughs.

The thought of it by just thinking of it is just so heart warming and sweet, hearing those words escaping his lips makes my heart tremble and my thoughts panic, I should tell him the truth before its too late,

"Luke, I uh-"

"Cmon Scott! let's play basketball!" He stood up before I could earn um his attention, grabbing a ball from the floor.

"But I ..I don't know h-how!" I stood up, wiping my hands on my jeans.

"Then let's just play strip basketball" He laughs.

"Pervert! No!"

"Kill joy!" He shot back, "Its nothing I haven't seen before!!"

"Luke!!!"

"Cmon Scott!!"

"Ugh!"