Lab Rat

My thoughts of that wonderful night are interrupted by pain shooting down my spine. I can feel my body convulsing as another bolt of energy enters me. I open my eyes I turn to look at Kaira. She is standing there with her hand against her mouth and tears running down her face. I feel my veins protruding out of my neck. She is crying. I need to go comfort her but this machine is preventing me from getting to her. I feel my body being raised as all currents flow out of me.The machines are sparking up. Some having mini explosions. I'm looking at Kaira. She seems astounded as she is looking towards me. My throat is raw from screaming. The beeping intensifies and my world goes black.

I hear a steady beeping in the background. I do not know how long I have been out. I feel a hand running through my dreads. I immediately know that it belongs to Kaira. I hear footsteps approaching and a door opens.

"Kaira, sorry to bother you but you need to come see this."

Kaira leans down and kisses me. "I'll be right back baby."

I hear her walking stick tapping the ground as her slow and steady steps take her away from me. I drift back to sleep.

I remember courting Kaira. Taking the long walks to what felt like everywhere. Buying her knickknacks and trinkets that reminded me of her. Taking her out and showing her off. I loved having her with me. Every moment spent with her is a grand memory permanently embedded in my brain.The feel of her. The exquisite taste of her.I remember making love to her for the first time. It's weird as old as Kaira is she never been with anyone before me. I'm the only one she has ever allowed in her body. I used to feel bad that I have been around and given my love to others. Kaira just laughs at me when I tell her this and calls it useful practices. Since one of us needed to know what we were doing. But I honestly believe she is happy to be the only one to feel the real me especially when the change comes upon me.

Looking back I don't believe that once we actually got together we ever had a real fight. She has been here teaching and guiding me. Helping me to understand what I am or why I am. I know her putting me through these tests hurts her more than it hurts me. I also know why she does it. Kaira is as afraid of losing me as I am of losing her. We know she is immortal but am I? do I still have some clock counting down on my life? if so how long? You don't spend almost a century with someone and not fear the possibility of losing them.