Chapter 58: Late Night Talks

Rayla's POV

I wiped the last of my makeup away and sighed. My tears had left black streaks running down my face, but now my cheeks were as clean and rosy as could be. My eyes were still a little puffy, but there was nothing I could do about that now.

I left the bathroom and padded into the kitchen to find my parents talking in hushed tones. "Hey," I murmured as I took a seat at the kitchen island. I frowned when I realized that they were no longer wearing the same clothes they had been wearing only an hour ago.

My mom looked as business like as ever in a black dress and a matching blazer. My father wore his grey suit with a dark blue tie. They immediately stopped talking and looked at me with guilty expressions.

"Honey," my mother began, her voice sounding strained and tired, "we're sorry about this but...we have a business dinner tonight. We hate to leave you alone but-"

"It's alright, mum," I smiled faintly. "I'll be alright here."

"Are you sure?" She persisted, wringing her hands.

"I'm sure. I can scrounge for some food and watch a movie or something," I assured her. I played with a stray strand of hair that had fallen from my ponytail as I studied my parents. My mother had redone all of her makeup, but no amount of concealer could hide that her eyes were just as puffy as mine. My father, on the other hand, looked well rested and a little relieved.

"Alright then, sweetie. We'll see you when we get back," my father said, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

My mother smiled and caressed my cheek softly before kissing the top of my head. "I love you, honey." I smiled dreamily at the sound of her voice. She sounded genuine and sincere, like she wasn't just reciting rehearsed lines.

My parents pulled on their coats and waved goodbye as they walked out to the car. I stood at the door and blew them a kiss as they backed out of the driveway. I sighed quietly as I closed the door. The house seemed so much emptier now that it was just me. I shook the lonely feeling off and went hunting for dinner.

I pulled a frozen mini pizza out of the freezer and put it in the oven. I was practically drooling at the smell of mozzarella and tomato sauce that was wafting through the house. The timer beeped and I pulled the pizza out, passing it under my nose to inhale the savory scent. A movie and a fuzzy blanket completed my evening as I snuggled up on the couch and dug into my pizza.

I must have started dozing halfway through the movie because when I opened my eyes the credits were already rolling. I checked the clock on the wall and had to look twice when I saw the time. It was already 10:30.

I stretched my legs and winced at the stiffness of my muscles. Pins and needles plagued my feet, but I managed to get up and put my dishes in the sink. I was about to load them into the dishwasher when suddenly the sound of the doorbell echoed through the house.

I frowned as I turned the oven off and set I had been holding in my hands back into the sink. I slowly made my way towards the door. I wasn't expecting anyone, so who would have the indecency to show up at this time at night? I looked through the peephole, but there wasn't anyone on the doorstep.

I slowly crept to the fireplace nearby and grabbed the poker, wielding it like a sword as I approached the door again. I slowly unlocked it and after a few seconds I flung it open, the fireplace poker held high above my head.

My eyebrows raised in confusion as I peered out into the front lawn, trying to see anyone hiding in the darkness. I nearly screamed when I heard a low, slurred mumble to my left. I stepped out onto the porch to investigate and I immediately regretted it once I did. There, sitting up against the wall, was Harry.