Forty-Eight

Amelia

Last night was one of the longest nights I have ever had. I barley slept at all. Before we left, the nurse gave us the ultrasound picture of our baby boy. From the moment I got it, I couldn't stop staring at it. That was my baby. Nick and I made that. The warmth that overcame my heart every time I looked at the picture and clutched it in my hands was unreal.

As soon as we got home, I changed into one of Nick's Champion t-shirt's and we all headed to bed. Nick's mom stayed over to care for me and Austin.

Austin was mainly sore, with bruises here and there, but me on the other hand, when my medication wore off, I couldn't get the pills to work the same as the medicine they gave me at the hospital. The medicine at the hospital was magic. That night was brutal. I couldn't the move without tensing my muscles and making everything worse. I woke up around eleven at night after only sleeping for an hour and felt like I alone had been hit by a car. No one understood my pain. I was so restless and uncomfortable, I know I drove Nick's mother insane. Every time I would move in the bed, I would wake Nick up. He would ask the same question each time. 'Are you okay?'

As I watched the clock beside Nick's bed finally turn to eight in the morning, I figured I could get up. It felt like I was laying there forever waiting on a reasonable time to get up without waking up another soul unnecessarily. I already felt like a needy bitch as it was. Nick's mom was in the kitchen, so I slowly limped over to one of the bar stools.

"Good morning," I yawned.

"Amelia, goodness, you scared me. What are you doing? You should be resting," she walked over to me with a concerned look.

"I know, but I can't sleep. I haven't been able to sleep all night and I didn't want to wake Nick up, he's been up all night with me too," I replied.

She gave me a frown then pulled me in for a hug.

"I really appreciate you. I never really had anyone care for me like this. No ones ever made sure I took my medications or checked in on me. Thank you."

"Sweetie, don't thank me. I'm always here. I'm a mom, it's what we do," she smiled at me.

I gave her a small smile back. She really didn't know how much this meant to me. She wasn't even my mother, but in the midst of two days, she had treated me more like her own daughter than my mother had in twenty one years. I was so thankful.

"Why don't you go lay down on the couch and I'll bring you some more medicine to relax you and find a movie for us to watch?" she suggested.

"Okay," I smiled as I carefully eased myself down from the bar stool and headed to the living room.

I scanned through the channels and found a decent looking one on one of the HBO channels.

"What about Fireproof?" I asked as she sat down beside me handing me a mug.

"That sounds lovely, I haven't seen that movie in ages. It's a really great movie," she lightly patted my leg.

"Okay, what's this?" I asked, referring to the mug she handed me.

"Hot chocolate," she answered with a smile.

I got kind of sentimental while watching this brilliant movie. The main character was a fireman, who started off wanting a divorce from his wife. They constantly argued and you could tell that there was hardly anything left to their marriage. His father pleaded with him to try what he tried with his wife when they were going through a rough time to try to strengthen their relationship with each other and with God. The ending was pretty sappy but you'll have to watch it to learn the rest.

The next thing I knew, I felt someone move behind me on the couch. I let out a yawn as I began to stretch my arms.

"I didn't mean to wake you," Nick's raspy voice broke through my dreams.

I slowly opened my eyes and wrapped my arms around his that were around my waist. I guess I fell asleep on the couch.

"What time is it?" I yawned.

"Almost three," Nick stated.

"Holy shit, in the afternoon? I slept till three?" I widened my eyes.

"It's almost time for your medicine again anyway,"Nick said as he started to rub my back.

"How are you feeling? Indestructible?" Alison laughed from the other couch.

"Not exactly," I chuckled.

"Where's your mom?" I asked Nick while looking around the living room, not being able to spot her.

"She went back to her hotel to pack. She's got a flight leaving tonight, but she said she would come back before to say bye," Nick answered. "That means I'm in charge now," he added with a smirk.

"You're crazy," I laughed.

"You better be glad I can't tickle you right now, or you'd really regret that remark. But I guess I'll let it slide," he smiled as he began to leave sweet kisses all around my neck.

"Oh, your dad called this morning," Alison stated while getting up and walking to the kitchen.

"Oh shit, I forgot about that. What did he say?" I asked.

"He's just going to come over for dinner at seven!" she yelled from the kitchen.

"We're all going out anyway, so, it will just be you and Nick here," Zion chuckled while trotting down the stairs.

"Well, That sounds nice," I replied.

"You feeling okay?" Zion added.

"I mean, I could be better," I answered. 

"It takes a pretty tough bad ass to pick herself up from a wreck like that, I saw the car on the news. Completely totaled," Zion sat beside us on the couch.

"You did? It was on the news?" I sighed.

"Yeah," Nick trailed off behind me.

I leaned back into the couch with a frown evident on my face. Great. Now everyone in LA knew about the wreck.

Another update cause I'm happy about 8K.

Vote and comment!

-Tay