Sixty-Nine

Amelia

Alison and I decided to wait a few days before driving home to see our parents. She figured I needed to wait and calm down a bit more before going.

Before we left the hospital, my doctor prescribed me some sleeping pills to help me sleep and minimize my nightmares. They seemed to be working decently, but it made it harder to wake up in the morning. I felt extremely drowsy all of the time. The last few nights had been good with the nightmares and all, I was finally starting to settle down and actually get sleep.

It was Thursday morning and I had an advising appointment before we left for Georgia. I walked into the English department at five till eight and signed in.

When the desk receptionist called my name, I headed back to my advisor's office.

"Hi sweetie, how is it going?" she asked kindly while standing to shake my hand.

"Great, just a little early though," I laughed.

"So, I was wondering why you wanted to see me, is everything okay with your fall schedule?" she asked with a concerned look on her face.

"That's what I needed to talk to you about," I trailed off.

It took me a whole twenty minutes to explain to her the events of my life since the last time I had met with her.

"Wow, well yes, we will definitely have to change some things around for you," she muttered while turning to her computer and clicking away at the keys with her long fingers.

"I was thinking about online classes, incase I needed to travel urgently during the semester," I suggested lightly trying not to impose.

"Let me see here Miss Parker, you've got three English electives and a foreign language, but I think I can switch these to online classes if they are available. Let me do some checking." She intensely stared at her computer, searching different classes for about three total minutes before turning to me and sucking her teeth.

"It seems I can get you in online classes for your English electives but not the Spanish class, there is an available online class for french if you wanted to switch over?" she said as she took her eyes away from the computer screen to look at me.

"French would be interesting," I stated.

I really didn't care what foreign language class I had, I just needed two of them to graduate.

"Okay then, let me print this out for you and you're all set. The financial aid office will contact you if there are any problems concerning the classes and the payment you've already made." She smiled at me while the printer to her left made a loud noise and began to print out a paper.

"There you go Miss Parker. I hope everything works out for you. Congratulations and stop by and see me if you have any questions or need me for anything," she stated and stood up to hand me my new schedule and shook my hand lightly.

"Thank you for everything." I smiled back at her.

I grabbed my belongings and headed out of her office. She was always such a sweet lady, ever since I met her my first year here. Alison ended up driving while I stayed in the passenger seat watching out for oncoming traffic. I have to admit, I was scared to be in a car for a long period of time, especially since the wreck. Goosebumps trailed over my skin as I began to recall horrible memories from that day. One good thing I could take from that was the fact that I had met my father.

"So you never told me what happened in your advising appointment," Alison asked from the drivers seat.

"I got switched to all online classes. I figured it would be better for me and I could spend time with my dad and Nick as well," I explained.