Fifty-Eight

Amelia

I spent the majority of the morning with my dad. He picked me up in his red shades and took me for breakfast at a small diner. I was surprised to find out that we had company joining us.

An older woman with straight blonde hair and red lipstick sat at the table that my father lead us to along with a younger child, probably around the age of eight.

"This is Gwen my fiancé," My father stuttered out.

I had no idea that my father had even moved on, I guess I couldn't blame him though. It had been awhile. It was weird yes, but seeing him happy was far more important than him re-marrying.

The woman stood tall and smoothed out her red dress which matched her designer heels perfectly and gave me a warm smile. I shook her hand noticing the huge diamond ring on her ring finger returning her smile and told her 'nice to meet you.'

"And who is this?" I turned my attention to the little girl sitting with a DS in her hand as she looked up at me with her dazzling blue eyes and beautiful golden locks dangling around her shoulders.

"This is Stephanie," the beautiful woman muttered happily.

"Stephanie? What a pretty name," I smiled down at her extending my arm for her to shake formally.

"So you're Amelia? And it's Steffi, but you haven't earned that right yet," she huffed in annoyance without even looking up from her game a second time.

For an eight year old, I was impressed.

"Sassy. I like it. My friends call me Mela, but you haven't earned that nick name yet either," I subtly smiled earning a glare from her.

Gwen tried her best to hold back a chuckle.

"I wish Nick would've came with us today, you guys would've loved him. He's quite the young man," my father smiled as he took his seat in the middle of Gwen and I.

"Well, not really if she's pregnant already," Steffi spat.

I widened my eyes to her blunt comment.

"Stephanie, that is enough," Gwen narrowed her eyes in Steffi's direction.

"Amelia, forgive her," she turned her attention to me with a softened expression.

This seemed to be a regular thing with her. It seemed almost normal for her to speak that way. I could tell she wasn't happy about the situation, but she didn't have to take that out on her family, or my dad.

We got to know each other a bit more over breakfast. I learned that Gwen worked with my father at the hospital as a nurse and Steffi is in fact eight years old and very intelligent for her age. I also learned that her father and Gwen's husband died a few years ago to cancer.

I bid farewell to Gwen and the oh-so-lovely Steffi when breakfast was over and hopped into my father's truck. I was curious when I didn't see the Buick, but I guess he made decent money because his truck was very nice and still smelt brand new.

"When do you start back school?" My dad asked as he revved up the engine on his way out of the parking lot.

"The beginning of August," I replied.

"That's good, you're still going for English Education right?"

"Yep, that's still the plan." I tossed him a smile.

"If you don't mind me asking, have you figured out what you're going to do after you have the baby?" he sounded a bit timid as the words left his mouth.