Chapter 05:  The Town of Jill and Support for Her Daughter.

>> We arrive at the town located at the foot of the mountain. Without any idea what this place is, we just walk at the entrance gate together with the peddlers carrying carriages.

The townspeople here are quite different; mixing of humans and human-like animals walking into their two feet. Most of them looked like human, but has an ear and tail of animals.

"You." Suddenly, the guard halted me up from entering as we arrive at the fortress. "Uh..." I utter and look at his eyes. He has the appearance of a rough middle aged man because of his intimidating expression; his hair is quite scruffy despite of being short; showing a pair of droop ears and saggy eye bags under his eyes.

He's wearing a chest armor plate and pair of khaki trousers. On his feet is pair of leather boots, and on his waist is a sword around 4 meters in length. He has a muscular physique and quite taller than me. I'm 164 centimeters; he's about 170 centimeters.

"You, you look scruffy and dirty." The guard spoke out. Then, his eyes look beside me. Phyra stands in my right side as she holds my hand. She's also walking barefoot and now covered with dirt and dust. "Is she your little sister?" he asked.

"Uh...–-" "

"Papa." Phyra's grip tightened. Looking at her, I saw her body fret a little while looking at the guard. "She's my daughter." I look back at the guard. Hearing my answer, the guard looked back at me again. "Then, you two are refugees from elsewhere, huh?"

From that approach, I never thought of a proper answer. It's been two days since we left the mountains and walk here. Also, my clothes are tattered all over; I also smell awful.

It's been three days since I came to this world. Finding Phyra's parents from nowhere is my objective right now and letting her staying with me is the primary reason.

"Well, we could say it like that." I answered half heartedly. Now what? I speak a lie right now. "Unfortunately, this town doesn't accept any refugees from other countries. Dragon slayers are visiting every town to find a newly born dragon."

What the... what does that mean? I can't go in any town as well? What now? "You should better go somewhere else or—-"

"I don't mind wandering off elsewhere. Just please shelter this child." Out of a sudden, I pleaded to the guard. "Papa." Phyra called out. I look at her and smiles. "I need to do this. If we stay together, I can't guarantee your safety."

"Papa." Phyra muttered, as her grip tightened further. "I don't wanna leave you here. But I can't let you travel with me—-"

Phyra embraces me after. Her small body frets out. "Papa. Papa. Papa."

It's hard for me this way, too. Promising to myself to be her father, and breaking it instantly as everything goes rough; what kind of father am I? Can't even do something for my daughter?

"Phyra, you should understand. I won't leave you here just as that. You see, the guard might be scary but he's a nice person."

Patting her head, I suggested those words. Yet, Phyra refuses to get off me. "Papa. Papa. Don't go. Stay. Papa." She did even remember to say those words. I haven't taught her anything aside from saying a name. Will my father figure like to her end up like this?

"Uh... ahem." The guard suddenly cleared his throat as his eyes looked at us with a little sympathy and awkwardness. "You two seemed causing a commotion for the merchants at the entrance. I suggest that you two may come inside."

Looking behind us are the people looking with deep concern and sympathy from what happened. That's a little awkward now, and it ends up being the center of attraction. Seriously, I was about to abandon this girl in this town and be a wanderer to find my way back home.