Chapter 07:  The Time Everything Changes With My (Dragon) Daughter

>> The dusk and night sky is blending above the purplish hue horizon. The first day ended up already, giving Phyra a sleepy look on her face.

Around afternoon we arrived at the town, and now is the time for her to sleep. "She's nodding off, how cute." Efnir states as she looks at the kid sitting at the sofa.

"You're sleepy? Go to sleep now. Don't hold back."

I stated to her. Phyra then turn her head to look at me. "Papa." She calls out. "Yeah, I'm here." Patting her head, I utter gently. "Papa." Her arms reach out to me.

Looking at her doing that seems that she might be really my child, and I find really cute. "Come here." Carrying her up, I lay her body down and carries under her waist. Her head then snuggles on my shoulder as her arms wrapped around me.

"You are fitted to be a father, Mr. Paul." Efnir chuckled out.

"Cut that off." I groaned embarrassingly. Efnir then guided us to the room that we will use. "I have a spare room here. Feel free to use it. Also,"

As her hand grabs the doorknob, Efnir then looked at me. "You can stay here all the way you want. I'm living alone anyway."

"Thanks for the offer, but I think it would be—-"

"I insist; you two can continue the journey. Just think about Phyra's constitution. She will be safe here." Efnir shows a gentle smile. "Thanks for your offer, Efnir."

"You're welcome. Phyra is my ally, after all." Nodding on my statement, I enter the room. The bed is neat and seemed not use yet. I lay Phyra down on the bed after. Her breath is deep; she really got exhausted from walking.

But her grip didn't lose on the hem of my shirt. "Papa." Phyra's eyes slightly open after; think that she heard the smear sound of my movement. "Yeah, I'm here." I spoke gently. I lay down beside her after, as Phyra snuggles at me. "Papa. Papa."

"Worry not, I won't go anywhere." I comb her hair with my fingers gently. Phyra's eyes closes again after that. Seriously, this kid is too needy. Well, it can't be help; she's still a toddler and needs warmth of a parent.

Now that she's sleeping on the soft and fluffy bed, I think there's no problem now... or so I thought? Trying to go off the bed, Phyra's grip tightened further. Even in her sleep, she's still gripping tight.

"Hey, I need to go." I spoke out. "Papa." Phyra remained attach to me. Heaving a deep sigh, I just smile and brush the thought of leaving her alone here. Might be, she may cry if known that I'm not here.

It will be a hassle. Again, just like that night, I hum a lullaby to her. Caressing her silky hair, I leaned further to cover up her body. "Sleep well, my little dragon. Grow up soon for you to see the beauty of the blue sky and fly high beyond what others can imagine."

Whispering those words out, Phyra then shows a faint smile on her lips. "Papa..." she murmurs. "Yeah, and I will be there to see and watch you over." So as those words filled, I kiss her forehead. It's then, Phyra loosened to the grip.

Getting the blanket, I cover her body up after.

"Goodnight, my daughter." Standing up on the bed, I go to the door and left the room quietly after.

• • • • • •

>> The next morning:

The glass of windowpane filled with morning sunbeam, entranced through the deep, dark room. It spread over, giving the warm touch to someone's cheeks.

That then, as the skin of a young girl damped with the ray of morning sun, she felt something ticklish over her skin.

Yet, the one thing that made her feel assure over was nowhere to be found. Only the piece of blanket wrapping around supports her small body. As her eyes open, the empty space that's supposed to be someone sleeping whom she get familiarize with was not there. "Papa." In her grog voice, she called out.

"Papa." She called out again, yet no one gives respond to her call. The girl knew that when she calls, the warm voice fills her heart will come to see her. But there's no one.

Sitting on the bed, she called out again. "Papa. Papa." Her voice is filled now with anxious. The person she knew is nowhere to be found.

"Papa? Papa! Papa! Papa! Papa!" a loud scram all over heard on the room. A squeak from a voice of a little girl echoed around, but no one takes that noise.

The girl, who named Phyra searches around as she look for that person. "Papa. Papa! Papa!" in the depths of everything, the voice and warm feeling wrapping around her suddenly lost. Why? Then, she remembered what that person said: "I don't wanna leave you here. But I can't let you travel with me—-"

That memory she recalled out, thinking that he already left and not coming back for her. "Papa! Papa!" Phyra called out. No one gives response; no one opens the door to see her. No one's there to give her comfort.

It surges out; the uncertain feelings inside her heart. It gives an extreme pain. It brewed and fills the fear that succumbing thoroughly.

"Papa. No! Papa. Papa! Papa! Papa! Papa!" the urge of her feeling, she wanted to let it out. "Don't go. Papa! Papa!" those words keep lurking out. But then, in a snap... "Phyra." A sudden flash click from the doorknob echoed.

The voice she wanted to hear out suddenly fills the empty and warm room where she sits. The brewing feeling of despair, the surging feeling of leaving all alone; it all halts in a second.

"Phyra, are you awake?" the voice called out again. "Papa!" as that voice she confirmed in the door, Phyra stands up and goes to the door. The door open wide and see the person standing in front of him. The person, who she saw at the first day, as everything changes, is here in front of her.

"Papa... papa. Papa. Papa." Tears overflow on her eyes. The image of the person she is longing to see, that she thought have left her alone, is here. "Papa. Papa, papa! Papa! Papa! Papa! Papa! Papa!" in an instant, the heavy feeling burying her deep vanished completely. Her arms widely open and embraces the person she dears the most.

"Phyra. Why are you—-"

"Papa! Papa! Papa! Papa! Don't go! Papa! Papa!"

Burying her face on his chest, Phyra snuggled whilst her grip tightened up. "Ah, you thought I left you here." At the gentle caress coming from his hand, Phyra felt the lovely sensation that smears all over her.

It's not a dream. He didn't leave me. That's what she wanted to say, but all those words haven't been conveyed up. All that she knows is that, this man who shows care and kindness is still here for her.

"Papa! Papa! Papa!" with her cracked voice, Phyra chirped out like a newborn chick. "Yeah. Yeah. I'm your papa." Her eyes look up and see the gentle smile on that person's lips.

"Papa." With that gentle smile, Phyra utterly imitates what that man does, and her lips without knowing, shows a gentle smile that illuminates the morning sunbeam filled over.