xxvi.

As the small party of Rhaenar, Daenerys, and the council disembarked the boat, they were instantly greeted by men of Kranznys

As the small party of Rhaenar, Daenerys, and the council disembarked the boat, they were instantly greeted by men of Kranznys. They stood in a small group, who took them to the master himself as he stood just shy of the walls outside Astapor, amongst the bustling city that was around them. He was taller than she with his head shaved free of any hair, and pale baggy clothes adorning his body; his face mean as he took them in - no doubt having heard the rumours stemming from Qarth. A small girl stood beside him, large brown eyes staring out with a soft expression on her face and a large black collar wrapped tight around her neck.

Rhaenar looked to her for a moment before back to the master. He held a whip in his hand as he motioned them to leave. Rhaenar glanced back to Jorah, who nodded. As the words began to leave Kraznys mouth, she realised he was speaking Valyrian - Low Valyrian, but Valyrian all the same. "The Unsullied have stood here for a day and a night with no food or water." The girl behind her translated. She looked around, eyes falling upon the four guards above the gate. It clocked, she realised they didn't know she could understand him - something that could work to her advantage.

"They will stand until they drop." She continued, unsullied standing around them in the courtyard perfectly lined. Rhaenar watched them; they didn't quiver, didn't move, just held their spears and shields beneath the beating sun. "Such is their obedience." The group split into two as they began to walk through.

They were impressive, but they were slaves; unable to be allowed to think, to love, to do anything but fight for their master. "The Unsullied might just suit my needs. Tell me of the training they have undertaken."

"The Westerosi woman is pleased with them, but speaks no praise to keep the price down. She wishes to know how they are trained." The woman uttered to Kraznys, Rhaenar careful as she feigned ignorant.

"Tell her what she would know and be quick about it. The day is hot." The unsullied moved back in as they approached a wooden stage.

"They begin their training at five. Every day they drill from dawn to dusk until they have mastered the shortsword, the shield, and the three spears. Only one boy in four survives this rigorous training. Their discipline and loyalty are absolute. They fear nothing." Her jaw locked as she looked over the yard, each row filled with unsullied.

Jorah turned. "Even the bravest men fear death." He uttered to her, the girl turning quickly to Kraznys.