xxxiv.

Rhaenar had never raced so fast across the camp as she had in that moment, her heart beating wildly in her chest as she burst through the door, blood already pooling on the floor

Rhaenar had never raced so fast across the camp as she had in that moment, her heart beating wildly in her chest as she burst through the door, blood already pooling on the floor. Her eyes widened, looking at the healers surrounding a bed. "Khaleesi." One of them stated, turning to her.

"How is he? How is Qotho?" She begged, moving closer to the bed. Mero stood to the side, watching as the Khaleesi hovered, pale as a sheet near him.

"He's breathing for now, but it will be touch and go; his wound is deep." Rhaenar felt sick at the news, at the possibility of losing one of her closest men. She moved closer, the healer taking her hand before pulling her in. His skin was pallid, a sheen of sweat covering the cover as he breathed lightly. Stitches lined the side of him, just above his hip.

"Gods." She uttered softly, dropping to her knees beside him. Rhaenar took his hand, her eyes flickering over him. She'd never seen him so weak, so still in all the time she'd known him. "How did this happen?" She asked, looking over to Mero.

He swallowed, stepping closer to the Khaleesi and her blood rider. "There were more guards than expected, he was fighting two at one time, and the third came up and got him from behind with his spear. He's a good fighter Khaleesi, we just didn't see that extra guard until it was too late." She nodded, eyes pooling with tears.

"Qotho, I know you can hear me." She said softly, lowering her lips to his ear. "I need you to stay here with me, you can't ride with Khal Drogo yet." Pressing a kiss to his forehead, she stood, blinking back the tears. "I want the best care for him, he's not going to the night lands yet." She said fiercely to the healers, their heads nodding quickly. "Whatever he needs, get it for him." The healers quickly hurried around her, not stepping in her way as she remained by his side. He would do the same for her if she was lying in that cot.

"You need to sleep Khaleesi, tomorrow we will be returning to the city." She shook her head, wanting to stay beside Qotho. "Listen to me. Qotho will want you there, he can't have fought for nothing."

"Shut up." She said softly.

He cocked a brow. "Excuse me?" Rhaenar whirled on him, her temperament cut short.