xlvii.

Once the night had begun and Rhaenar and the party were allowed to freshen up, she found herself gazing up at the tent ceiling, her eyes running over the fabric that hung from the centre. Strands of red and yellow chiffon had been twined lazily, trailing from the ceiling to the edges where it then hid the walls of gold. A fine bed with thick blankets had been placed to one side, and dark mahogany bedside tables sat either side.

She hesitated at the side of the room, buttoning the coat at the side. It was far colder here and wetter than it was in Meereen, and it was going to take her some time to get used to it especially since her time in the Dothraki sea, Qarth, and Slaver's Bay as all sat to the east and south. Rhaenar ran her fingers over the blue coat, feeling the nicks of scales in the fabric as she turned this way and that. It was so different from the dresses she was used to, bare shoulders, low backs, and floaty fabric having been a comfort.

Rhaenar touched the fine silver buttons that lined the edge, a silver slither of twisted thread locking around each one keeping it closed. She had found it within the stuff waiting for her, nestled amongst her usual dresses; this sticking out to her. Mero came round the corner, stopping in his tracks. "You look very beautiful, Rhaenar." He uttered, seeing her unsure about the coat.

She turned, meeting his eyes. He was wearing his own thick coat, made in a darker grey with similar nicks in the fabric; the leather clinging to his torso. It looked so different from his summer wear, no flash of bare skin or oversized metal plates lining his torso. "So do you." She whispered, approaching him. Her hands settling on the smooth leather, the ridges beneath her fingertips.

Mero smirked, hands settling on her waist. "I look beautiful? Are you sure you don't mean handsome?" He asked, lowering his head so his nose brushed against hers.

Rhaenar smiled, shaking her head. "I said what I said, didn't I?" She raised onto her tippy toes, pressing a kiss to his lips. He smiled against her, his arms slinking around her waist before tugging her slightly from the ground. Rhaenar loved being here in his arms, feeling safe from the outside world; his chest rising and falling against hers.

They pulled apart, her feet meeting the ground once more. "I guess we don't have enough time for a quick one, eh?" He asked, his blue eyes shining in cheekiness as she swatted his chest.

"Do you not remember last time?" She scolded him gently. "Missandei walked in. I'm not scarring another member of my party." He grinned, laughing.