lxxxiii.

The door opened again. "Forgive me, my Queen. A red priestess from Asshai has come to see you." Torgo uttered as Rhaenar turned to him, her eyes wide as she took in his form. A priestess from Asshai? It wasn't a commonly practiced religion within Westeros, and she was a far way from home. Their eyes met, Torgo's face straight as she quickly glanced at the table. The pieces had been moved, her game plan ready.

She nodded, sparing a glance to the others as Aegon rose from his seat, taking his place beside Rhaenar. Wherever she went, he went; the two having moved like shadows as they began to bond over shared experiences in the Free Cities. "You were a little harsh, weren't you?" Aegon uttered as they led their way into the corridor from the painted table to the throne room, the caverns it had been formed through making it tight on Aegon's large figure.

"I have every right to be, I need to know who to trust." She reminded him, her hands clasped together as those same boots clicked against the stone.

"You already threatened to kill him, Rhae. You know what they'll call you if you make those threats." She paused for a moment, the two stopping to look at each other. "The whole world is watching the Mad King's daughter, they will scrutinise you for everything you do - whether it is right or wrong, good or bad. They'll jump to faster conclusions that you are, even if you're not."

Rhaenar sighed. "What would you have done? If you were standing where I was, surrounded by a Lannister and the man that used to advise my father before helping other Kings - are you telling me you wouldn't have done the same?" His shoulders slumped, her answer clear as day. "Do you think I can trust him?"

"I don't know, perhaps the only thing you can trust him on is securing a good future for the people of Westeros - but I wouldn't put it past him that he would betray you." She nodded. "Speak to your Hand, he'll know better than anyone."

"But you're my family, and I need to build my trust in you." Aegon shot her a look before looking behind them, watching as Tyrion and the Unsullied were catching up. "Fine. You win."

He patted her hand. "Good." She turned with a sigh, the indigo falling onto Tyrion as he came up beside her.

"Tyrion, tell me truthfully, can I trust those around me?" Rhaenar asked.