xxviii.

When Rhaenar and her small party became ready to leave the ship, she grew guarded. Despite the blistering heat, she kept wrapped up; the high-necked dress giving her a level of security against those who were going to scrutinise her. She kept her hair down, no braids. She hadn't won her own battle yet. Daenerys frowned as she eyed her sister, the bubble of jealousy building in her stomach. Rhaenar looked at her, the violet clear of emotion. "Daenerys I want you to stay here where you will be safe." She told her as she passed her door. Dany opened her mouth. "I won't take no for an answer, you will stay here where the guards will keep an eye on you; any sign of disobeying my word, and you will be restrained, your door locked." Rhaenar was passed taking chances,and there was a small part of her that hoped that if people saw how she treated the disloyalty of her sister; they might think twice about crossing her.

Jorah looked to Rhaenar, eyes wide but she shrugged him off, looking to Qotho who smirked. "You can't do this Rhae! We're sisters, we're supposed to be together."

"This is keeping you safe." Rhaenar left the confines of the hallway, leading her small group out and away. The streets of Astapor were alive with slaves doing their everyday business, from getting food to serving every whim of their masters. Her tongue felt dry at the sight, their lack of freedom distasteful. It wasn't until they turned off the street, that her knees almost buckled. As far as the eye could see were slaves nailed to a cross. Men and women strung up like pigs. "The Walk of Punishment is a warning, Your Grace."

She glanced at Ser Barristan. "To whom? In what world is this a warning? This is barbaric and sick."

He motioned to the area around her. She could see the slaves being led around on chains, their eyes falling to the faces of other slaves who had committed a crime. "To any slave who contemplates doing whatever these slaves did." They had probably made a mistake, or tried to run from their prison to another form of life.

"They are cruel people, Khaleesi." Qotho uttered, his eyes flickering around him. "We have dealt with these before." When slaves were a large part of Dothraki life.

Rhaenar hated this place. "Give me your water, please." She asked Jorah, raising out her hand.

"Khaleesi, this man has been sentenced to death." He tried to argue. 

She glared. "Your water, Ser Jorah. Regardless of his sentence, he deserves something to drink at the very least." He sighed, passing her his canister. "Thank you." Taking the small steps up to the man, she unstoppered it, holding it out to him.