lxxii.

You can image Shaqafi however you wish, but this is who I see her as. 

Rhaenar had come to be less angry at the Dosh Khaleen as she had settled into some routine in the few days that she had been there, coming to know the High Priestess

Rhaenar had come to be less angry at the Dosh Khaleen as she had settled into some routine in the few days that she had been there, coming to know the High Priestess. It turns out that their stories were similar, and that Mamena didn't hate her for it; she felt pity. Young girls who had lost their husbands to war, disease, or pride, were left to waste their days in Vaes Dothrak, counselling other Khals and seeing new Khaleesies come and go. They knew they were respected amongst the camp, and they knew that they had some influence over the ruling Khals, but it didn't make it easier knowing they couldn't see the world they had once dreamed of.

"Some of them don't think Dothraki should breed with foreigners. They are stupid old women. They don't realise we have always diluted our blood." Mamena began, looking over to the huddles of women talking opposite. "This one is Lhazareen. Her Khal found her hiding in a well after he burned her village."

The girl she was referring to looked up, her kohl lined eyes sweeping between the pair. She looked young, not much older than Rhaenar was. "How old were you?"

"Twelve." The comment shocked Rhaenar, her brows raising. She was twelve? Her Khal chose to marry a child.

"A year later, she bore her Khal a daughter. How did he show his happiness?" Rhaenar prayed that he didn't hurt the child, any child was a gift regardless of their gender.

The Lhazareen's eyes turned sad, dropping to the floor. "He broke my ribs." Rhaenar shook her head, how could someone do that? How could someone take their frustrations out on another person like that? It disgusted her. Viserys had tried something similar, a dark voice in her mind spoke; but she was lucky, she was surrounded by those who saved her, Drogo never even dreaming of putting his hands on her.

"We are not Queens here, but the Khals depend on us for our wisdom. Our lives have meaning." Mamena said.

Rhaenar disagreed. "Your lives should have had meaning before, what the Khal did was unacceptable." Rhaenar said, looking at the woman opposite. "I have seen so many being trodden on by those who think they can dictate their lives, and I have seen so many rise from that becoming free people. Would you not want that?"