cxv.

Rhaenar watched with cold eyes as Jaime Lannister stood before her; not the golden haired lion she was expecting, but the dark haired man in the darker clothes as he was watched by Jon, Sansa, Aegon and Rhaenar, the higher Lords of Westeros' Kingd...

Rhaenar watched with cold eyes as Jaime Lannister stood before her; not the golden haired lion she was expecting, but the dark haired man in the darker clothes as he was watched by Jon, Sansa, Aegon and Rhaenar, the higher Lords of Westeros' Kingdoms sat down on two tables either side of him, and Northern Soldiers surrounding them. Tyrion and Tywin sat to the side, tense at Jaime's presence.

She didn't want to say she was angry, but part of her was. He'd sat upon the Iron Throne as her father- no, grandfather bled out upon the floor. He was sworn to protect Aerys, yet he stabbed him in the back; he stood by when Rhaella was being raped. When does someone swap one moral for another? "When I was younger, and we were sat across the sea; my brother reminded me of who caused our family's demise, who helped the enemies that stood outside our gates."

And she could remember the fury in his violet eyes, the way his hands would shake as he recalled the names of those involved. "The one who murdered our father by shoving a sword through his back, left him bleeding on the floor as he sat on the Iron Throne, watching it seep into the stone." Their eyes met, the green only watching her. "But, his favourite thing to talk about was what he would do to that man, once he returned to Westeros and took his place as King."

There were so many different ways that Viserys wanted to kill Jaime, all growing more vividly in description. "How he would treat you once he had you within his grasp, how he would make you feel the pain you made our parents feel." Jaime's eyes dropped to the floor, feeling as though he had just walked into a trap. Rhaenar wasn't her brother, she didn't feel the same burning need to see him dead that Viserys had, but she didn't want to see him without some regret for his actions.

"I'm sure in the years that have passed, no one has let you forget what you did that night. Kingslayer, is it?" He nodded. "Kingslayer has a ring to it." Rhaenar mused, nodding her head. "So why did you do it? Why did you take a sword to the back of Aerys Targaryen?" Jaime seemed surprised that she asked him, his brows deepening.

"We were at war." He muttered.

It seemed a weak response, all eyes turning to Rhae as she shook her head. "But you were his Kingsguard, you were sworn to protect him. So, why did you break your vow?"

"He was going to blow King's Landing to smithereens, everyone would have been dead if I hadn't killed him." Her eyes narrowed, looking for any sign of a lie. If they were at war, why would the Mad King blow King's Landing to pieces? He had a fascination with wildfire, but enough to see everyone dead? Perhaps. Her body tensed, a lump growing in her throat at the thought. If he had done that, countless innocent lives would have been lost, the country would have taken centuries to recover and scars entrenched deep within the Houses of Westeros.