Prologue- Legend of the Five Knights

-Five Knights, one story-

-She who admires the crown princess of old-

[Imperial Palace]

I glance up at my Mommy as I take a hold of her hand as we climb up the purple-carpeted stairs.  Her long, wavy, brown hair bounces, and her white silk dress moves like river waves with each step she takes.

"Hey, Mommy," I say as we reach the top of the staircase.

She turns her eyes toward me. Whenever I looked at them, I'm reminded of gemstones due to the specks of red, green, yellow, and even blue embedded in the matrix of brown.

"Yes, Sierra?" Mommy asks as she flashes me a toothy smile.

I look down at my frilly purple dress. Mommy had actually brought it for me in anticipation for an upcoming event, but I decided to put it on. To try it on, of course.

"Uh, do you, do you mind telling me the story of the five knights?" I ask, fidgeting.

Mommy tilts her head. "Why do you want to hear that story? There are better ones out there." She lowers her hazel eyes. "Especially for a kid your age to hear..."

"Just curious," I say, as I twirl back and forth. I chuckled to myself and grinned. "It's just... one day I hope to be just like the Alma Knight!"

Mommy averts her gaze and chuckles. "Really, now? You know, the older princess didn't do much."

I narrow my brown eyes at her. "Oh come now, you're just being modest, Mommy!"

She raises her eyes toward the golden ceiling of the hallway, causing the specks of color in them to shine brighter.

"I'm being serious, dear. Her sister played more of a role than she did... Perhaps more so than all of the five knights..."

I raise an eyebrow at her. "What? Really?" I lower my head toward the velvet-amethyst-carpet. "More than the Five Knights of Prophecy themselves..."

Mama nods her head. "Yeah. Some could even refer to her as one half of the sixth knight."

One half? Who was the other?

***
-He who wishes to know the true story-

[Southern Province]

"Sooooo boooored!" I say, putting my head down on our wooden table. The lights overhead flicker on and off as the howling winds outside threaten to take our electricity with them.

"It won't stop pouring," my younger sister adds, copying me. She ruffles her curly light brown hair.

I grumble. "I want to go outside!" I sigh and look out of the kitchen window at the scary clouds which stretch as far as I can see. It has been like this since yesterday! It's a wonder that we still got power.

Suddenly, lightning lits the sky, partially blinding me.

I wince and rub my eyes while trying to contain a whimper.

"I want it to stop too, I wanna go out to play outside," my little brother says as he walks out of the living room. "The tv is all 'bzzzt'!"

"Yeah," says my youngest sister, following behind him with her pink blankie on hand.

I let out a sigh. "So boring!" I say, grabbing my hair.

"Let's see if we can fix that," Ma says, wiping her slim hands against her apron. "How about I tell you four a story?"

I bolt up from my wooden chair and nod. "Yeah! Tell us the story of the Five Knights again!"

My pa chuckles from across the table. He leans his head against the palm of his right hand and smiles at me. "Aren't you too old for such stories, Ashi?"

I pout. "I'm nine! That's not too old..." I look down at the table. "Is it?"

He flashes a large grin and reaches over the table, ruffling my short black hair. "Aww, don't worry about it, kiddo!" His smile fades. "Maybe listening to it will help you four avoid the mistakes that befell the Knight of the Shield."

"Mistakes?" the four of us ask in unison.

I don't recall mama mentioning any mistakes. What mistakes could a hero like the knight of the shield have made?

The old marble floor shrieks as he pushes his chair back to stand up. "Tell the kids the full story," Pa says, turning his golden eyes toward Ma.

She averts her gaze. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

Ma bites her lip and says, "Alright. I'll do so, if that's what you want."

Pa walks over and kisses her on the lips, causing my siblings and me to hide our faces in embarrassment. "You shouldn't be too obedient, that's your mistake," he speaks into her right ear.

Ma averts her face, desperately trying to avoid letting dad see her blushing face. "Yes. Wait, no. Uh..."

He laughs and stretches his muscular arms into the air. "Meanwhile you tell the kiddos the full story, I'm gonna go take a nap!"

The full story... just what is it? What have I not learned about the man who shielded this world, nay, all of Zionia and beyond, with his life?

I turn to look at Ma as she clears her throat. "Alright, let's begin. This tale is a rather recent one as far as legends go... It all began when..."

I lean in, my ears ready for new info to the legend of the Knight of the Holy Shield known as Agnes. Though, perhaps my mind and heart aren't ready...

**Solar Note: Thanks for taking a look at this book! Hope that you will continue to enjoy and find out along with these kids the history and secrets of a bygone era :3.*****