1.5 Sorting Ceremony

~Y/n POV~

We get into boats, and navigate across a lake to get to the castle. I got separated from Harry and Ron so right now I am with Hermione on the boat. Once we make it up to the castle we are lead by a witch with a large black hat to a door.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. In a moment, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you do, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. While at Hogwarts, your house is like your family. Your triumphs earn you house points while rule-breaking takes them away. The House Cup is awarded to the house with the most points at the end of the year. It is a great honor. Now then-" She stops as a toad lands in front of her.

"Trevor!" Neville yells and grabs the toad.

The woman opens the doors and we begin to enter a grand dining hall. I look up at the ceiling, its stars, and very beautiful.

"It's not actually real, it's bewitched to look like the night sky, I read it in Hogwarts, A History." She seems to know her stuff, and want other people to know she does. She's probably just really insecure she didn't know much beforehand, being a muggle-born. So I'll be nice.

"Nice fact Hermione, maybe I could borrow that book sometime?" I ask her and she smiles. Good, another friend!

"The sorting hat will sort you all...now." The witch says. As the hat begins to sing a song.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your  black,
Your  sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in , Gryffindor
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in , Hufflepuff
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old , Ravenclaw
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

"Interesting." I whisper to Hermione. McGonagall begins to call names alphabetically. Hermione is the first I recognize and she whispers something to herself on her way up there.

"Mental, that one is." Ron says.

"Ron be nice." I reply.

"Gryffindor!" The hat replies as she walks to her seat. The next up is Draco. He sits down and before the hat even touches his head, he gets Slytherin. He proudly walks to the table.

"Y/n Opes." She calls as everyone in the hall begins to chat. I hear whispers as I walk up like 'She's really here?' and 'Her parents are the most powerful people in London.' I roll my eyes at the statement and sit down. The hat is placed on my head and begins to speak.

"Hmm I remember sorting both your parents. Powerful you are, just like them of course, but ahh what is this? This power you have within you is like no other, but it is locked." I start to furrow my eyebrows at his statement.

"Get on with it." Dumbledore says, worriedly.

"Smart mind, lots of loyalty, very brave I see. All the traits necessary for one house. You're ambitious, shrewd, and want to prove yourself. Must be Slytherin!" The entire Slytherin section stands and cheers as I go sit down next to Draco.

"Nice to have another snake." He smiles.

"Happy to be one." I reply.

"Truce?" He refers to my clever comment at his outburst earlier.

"If you're nice to my friends then-"

"Harry Potter." McGonagall shouts as everyone stops talking. The hat gets on his head and after a few minutes, Harry is declared a Gryffindor. All the Gryffindors cheer for him as Slytherins sneer. Harry looks over to me and we give each other a thumbs up. Ron is the last one to go, Two ginger twins stand up and cheer for them, I assume they are his brothers. The hat is placed on his head and he is quickly sorted into Gryffindor. Dumbledore says a few words and then we begin to eat.

"I'm Pansy Parkinson." I hear a voice say, I turn to see a girl holding her hand out for me to shake it. "I know who you are, obviously, you're the second most famous person in the Slytherin house. I shake her hand.

"Who's the first?" I ask, seeing if I know them.

"Why Draco Malfoy of course." I turn, looking at Draco next to me, talking to friends. "Isn't he dreamy?" She asks me. Now I get it, someone has a little crush.

"I don't know him well enough." I shrug.

"Good, I'm going to be his best friend, not you." She says, eating her meal.

"Fine by me." I reply. Once the meal finishes, our prefect leads us down to our common room in the dungeons. The password is 'pureblood' and I almost gag at how cringe that is. We enter a magical room. Very green, dark, the windows show the black lake. It is really cool to see underwater. Also, there is a beautiful fire that illuminates the room. The walls are covered with antique statues and designs of what looks like Salazar Slytherin and snakes. There are house cups everywhere I look, I guess I know what the best house is. There are black leather couches. It seems like home. I stood at the entrance, in such awe of what I was seeing that I didn't move

 I stood at the entrance, in such awe of what I was seeing that I didn't move

"Y/n, you coming?" Draco asks me.

"Oh yeah, I just got-." He cuts me off.

"Distracted by how awesome this place is?" He smirks.

"Yeah...exactly." I smile and twirl around in the common room. I look over and Pansy is shooting me daggers. I run over to her and drag her over to Draco, not trying to have fights within my own house. "Draco, do you know Pansy?" I ask him. She looks at me, surprised.

"Oh Parkinson, I forgot you were here. Well, good to see you." He says as he turns to talk to Crabbe and Goyle.  We begin to walk to our dormitories, Pansy smiling.

"Opes." Crabbe calls.

"Yes?" I reply, confused.

"I was just going to say goodnight." He says blushing.

"Oh um goodnight then." I say embarrassed. Pansy and I walk off and I could not regret what he said more.

"Looks like Crabbe has a crush on you." She smirks.

"Well, wish he didn't, that's all I'll say." I laugh back.

"Thanks for that, with Draco. You're not bad you know." She says.

"Neither are you." I lie, she definitely won't be a good friend. We go find a room with the other first years. I hop into my green silk sheets, the bed is smaller than mine at the mansion, but it's very cozy. I drift off, excited to see what the first day of classes has in store.