2.3 Pixies and Quidditch

We make our way to Defense Against the Dark Arts. I enter Lockhart's class and go to the Slytherin side, sitting next to Draco. He scoffs as I sit down next to him, guess he's still upset. Lockhart stands up and begins to announce things to the class.

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... me! Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-times winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award- but I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at him." All the girls begin to swoon as I roll my eyes once again and Draco looks to me and smiles slightly. "Now- be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind. You may find yourselves facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here. I must ask you not to scream. It might... provoke them!" He shouts.

"Cornish pixies?" Seamus asks.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies!" Lockhart corrects. Seamus laughs as the rest of the boys do.

"Laugh if you will, Mr. Finnigan, but pixies can be devilish tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them, ha! Come on now- round them up, round them up, they're only pixies!" Hey releases the pixies and they begin to cause panic.

"Ah! Aaah! Aaah! Aah- aah!" Neville screams as the pixies pick him up. They begin to break the window and act like a bull in a china shop.

"Hey, get me down!" Neville screams as most students run out of the class. Draco runs and I try to stop him but he shoves me off.

"Get off me!" One is in Hermione's hair. Harry runs over to help her.

"Stop! Stop! Hold still!" He yells hitting it with a book. We all huddle together under a desk.

"Peskipiksi pesternomi!" Lockhart shouts but a pixie takes his wand so the spell doesn't work. He hides under a desk as Neville falls down from the ceiling.

"What do we do now?" Ron shouts as we hit the pixies with books.

"Now or never." I say standing up. I wave my wand and think about the charm I read over the summer, Immobulus. All the pixies stop moving and freeze in the air. We all slowly stand up and make our way out of class.

"That was amazing Y/n!" Harry shouts.

"I was about to do that spell." Hermione pouts. I guess I have to let her have the spotlight sometimes, I don't mean to steal her thunder. I walk away and tell them I'll see them later. I head to the common room for a quidditch meeting. I sit down next to Draco and he actually doesn't scoff this time.

"Okay, we don't have many positions open, but I think Snape will give us special permission to train some newbies." Marcus Flint begins to say. "Looks like Malfoy will be a good seeker, I've talked to his dad about it, and Opes, we are missing a chaser, think you can handle it?" He asks me and I nod.

"I'll get a broom as soon as I can." I reply.

"Okay, we better be good this year. There is no need for that Opes, your family and the Malfoy's gave us a generous donation of Nimbus 2001s for the whole team." Flint says excitedly. Everyone begins to cheer. "Okay, meet back down here in five to go to the pitch. I'll talk to Snape. Get Malfoy and Opes their uniforms." He commands as everyone breaks apart.

"That was easy." I say turning to Draco.

"Yeah, they know we will be good." He smiles, I think that's the first time he's acknowledged me in a while. His smile fades. "I hope you're not upset about the brooms." He says looking down at his fingers.

"Of course not, I got you the Nimbus but now something better is out. We'll be great with them." I smile back and I really mean it. It's nice when he's actually nice to me. Another player brings us uniforms. I'm number 6, my favorite and Draco is number 1. We put on our uniforms and walk out to the pitch to practice, only to be met by the Gryffindor team.

"I don't believe it! Where do you think you're goin', Flint?" Oliver Wood, the captain of the Gryffindor team shouts.

"Quidditch practice." Flint sneers.

"I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today." Wood argues.

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note." He says as Malfoy and I are hiding behind the team, not wanting to get involved.

"Uh-oh. I smell trouble." I hear Ron say in the distance.

" 'I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker and Chaser.' You've got new players. Who?" Wood asks as Draco and I step forward.

"Malfoy? Y/n?" Harry questions.

"That's right. And that's not all that new this year." Draco boasts pointing to our brooms.

"Those are Nimbus Two Thousand and Ones! How did you get those?" Ron points and shouts.

"A gift from the Opes and Malfoys." Flint states proudly.

"You see Weasley, unlike some, my father and Y/n's father can afford the best." Draco sneers as I shy away.

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got it on pure talent." Hermione fires back, looking only at me as I look at her offended. She turns her nose up. Tears start to form in my eyes, why is she saying this? Draco senses me getting upset and insults Hermione.

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood!" I know what he said is wrong , but I am too angry right now to think about it.

"I'll prove you wrong, I'll prove you all wrong." I say looking to the trio.

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy. Eat slugs!" Ron shouts but his spell backfires and hits him. Ron doubles over as slugs start to come out of his mouth. I quickly run over to Harry and help him hold Ron as the Slytherins laugh hysterically. Hermione walks over and looks angry at me. I turn to Harry.

"Get him some help, I'll see you soon." I say to him and he gives me a reassuring smile. At least I know Harry has my back. I turn to Hermione. "I'm sorry about what Draco said." I try and she doesn't speak as she goes to help Ron. Fred and George follow but catch me before leaving.

"You'll be great Y/n!" Fred tries to tell me.

"We know it." George states and before I go back Fred grabs my arm.

"Hermione will turn around in no time." I smile to him and return to my team.

We all launch onto our new brooms and begin to fly laps around the pitch. "Okay, lets try to introduce you as a chaser. Let's see what you can do." Flint smiles at me as we make laps passing the quaffle through the air. I get my chance to come onto the keeper and hurl the ball, it passes right under his broom. We continue this teamwork for a while until Flint tells us to stop. He flies over to me in the air. "You're great for a second year, don't let them tell you otherwise. Once I leave, you'll definitely be the best chaser at Hogwarts." My face lights up as Flint is a 6th year. Maybe I'm even better than him but he couldn't admit it. We land and change. I'm the only girl on the team so I change behind the lockers, hiding from them. Once I finish I begin to walk out as Draco catches me.

"I'm tired of being mad at you. We are on the same team, we have to be friends." He apologizes.

"Is THE Draco Malfoy apologizing to me? THE Draco Malfoy seems to only apologize to me." I laugh. "Is it because my family is the only one more powerful than his?" I laugh again as he hits my shoulder.

"Don't mention it, seriously. I'm a bad boy." He pops his collar and I roll my eyes.

"Now that you're not friends with that Mudblood everything will work out." He states and I stop.

"I may be mad at Hermione, but I'm still their friend. We are the 'Golden Quartet'." I joke as we walk back to the common room. I bid Draco goodnight as he goes to eat dinner and as I am walking down to my room I begin to hear a voice.

"Blood. I smell blood. Let me rip you." I hear something say and begin to look for the voice. I go out of the dungeons and keep following it, my ear to the wall.