3.4 Buckbeak

It was nice to get out of the castle for the Care of Magical Creatures class. We wait outside the hut for the class to begin.

"I always forget that when we have classes with you, it means we have classes with them." Harry adds pointing to Draco and his goons. Ron and Hermione still aren't speaking to each other.

"Well, I'm glad I make it worth it." I tease. We follow Hagrid out into the forest.

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" he called. "That's it — make sure yeh can see — now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books —" He tells us.

"How?" says Draco Malfoy.

"Eh?" said Hagrid.

"How do we open our books?" He sternly asks again. Hagrid looks around.

"Hasn' anyone bin able to open their books?" He asks the class and we all shake no, slowly undoing to bind around our monster books. "Yer gotta stroke the spine o' course." He answers, taking Hermione's book and releasing the spell-o-tape. The book fights but lays open once he strokes the spine.

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Draco sneers. "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess!"

"I — I thought they were funny," Hagrid says uncertainly to Hermione.

"Oh, tremendously funny!" Draco adds. "Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"

"Draco!" I whisper harshly.

"'Ight, I'll be back wit the Magical Creatures." Hagrid states, sulking off.

"God, this place is going to the dogs," Draco announces. "Wait until my father hears they got this oaf teaching classes." I begin to cut in but Harry does it first.

"Shut up Malfoy." Harry says walking towards him.

"Ooooo." His goons state as Draco gives Crabbe his bags and saunters towards Harry. Harry doesn't back away until Draco begins to look up in fear.

"D-Dementor Dementor!" He shouts as we all turn to see nothing. Once we turn back around Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and Pansy all have their hoods on pretending to be Dementors. We turn back around to see these magnificent creatures. They have wings, a bird head, but legs.

"Hippogriffs-beautiful aren' they?" He asks. He beckons us to come closer, but the only people who do are Hermione, Ron, Harry, and I. "Now, firs' thing yeh gotta know abou' Hippogriffs is, they're proud. Easily offended, Hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do. Yeh always wait fer the Hippogriff ter make the firs' move," Hagrid continues. "It's polite, see? Yeh walk toward him, and yeh bow, an' yeh wait. If he bows back, yeh're allowed ter touch him. If he doesn' bow, then get away from him sharpish, 'cause those talons hurt. So who first?" Everyone backs up again, but I don't.

"I'll do it." Harry states and I grab his hand before he steps forward.

"Remember the tea leaves!!" Lavender Brown worries.

"We'll do it." I say and we approach the Hippogriff.

"This is Buckbeak." He tells us. "Don't blink too much, he won' trust ye." He tells us as we approach Buckbeak. He stares back at us. "That's it, now bow." He explains as we both bow to the Hippogriff. After a few seconds the creature bows back to us, we got pet it's beak ."Ok now yer ride him." He says picking us up and onto the back of the Hippogriff. Buckbeak launches into the air and I hold onto Harry tight. We fly all around the castle and we both begin to loosen up. Buckbeak takes us through the forest and Harry turns around to me.

"Let go." He nods and I pull my hands away from his waist. He sticks out his arms and I follow suit. It's amazing, the view, the wind rushing through my body.

"Wooooo!" We scream before Buckbeak eventually lands.

"Now who wants to try." Hagrid states pulling us off Buckbeak, everyone rushes to Hippogriffs trying to be worthy. Buckbeak bows to none other than Draco who is petting his beak. I give him a thumbs up and he smiles back.

"This is very easy," Draco drawls, loud enough for everyone to hear. "I knew it must have been, if Potter could do it... I bet you're not dangerous at all, are you?" he says to the Hippogriff. "Are you, you great big ugly brute?" Suddenly the hippogriff is not so welcoming. It attacks Draco and Hagrid rushes to hold him back.

"It's killed me! It's killed me!" Draco screams as I rush over. Hagrid picks him up.

"Yer alright, just a scratch." Hagrid explains on his way to take Draco to the Hospital. "Class dismissed. Harry, put the hippogriffs back." He tells us. Draco has blood gushing down his arm.

"They should sack him straight away!" Pansy states, crying.

"It was Malfoy's fault!" Dean argues.

"I'm going to see if he's alright!" Pansy rushes after them. The rest of the class helps brings the hippogriffs back.

"You think he'll be fine?" Hermione asks us.

"Madam Pomfrey can mend cuts very quickly." I try to convince myself. "Listen, the class can handle this right...I think-" I try but Hermione stops me.

"Go...visit him." She smiles and I nod. I run back to the castle to see Draco. He's in the hospital wing. Pansy is sitting next to him, holding his hand as he relaxes in the bed. I approach them and Draco straightens up immediately.

"You should be out of here in a few hours Mr. Malfoy." Pomfrey states.

"Pansy leave." Draco sternly says and Pansy tries to object but eventually pouts and exits. I take the chair she was sitting in and bring it up to the bed.

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

"Yes, I'm lucky the beast didn't hurt this when he sliced my arm." He points to his ring.

I chuckle. "You still wear that?" I ask.

"Of course, you still wear that." He points to the pin on my robes. I blush slightly.

"So you think you'll be ready for the match against Gryffindor?" I ask him.

"Well actually, the weather doesn't look too good. Thunderstorms are likely, thinking I might milk it and move the match." He tells me and I smile.

"I would usually say no, but it's smart. It'll give us a better chance." I smile.

"I hoped you'd say that. Honestly I thought you might go off on a tangent about how it's wrong, and we need a fair fight." He laughs.

"You do remember I'm a Slytherin don't you? I want to win, and I'll do what it takes." I smirk.

"You're something else Y/n." He looks at me and laughs.

"Well, I'll see you when I see you Draco." I smile and exit the hospital wing to have Hermione approach me.

"Y/n, I've known you for three years. I can tell who you were talking about last term. It's Malfoy." She states and I can only nod.

"Please don't be-" I try.

"I'm not mad, he's different around you and I see it. He may be mean and vile, but you have to admit we are pretty mean back. Your families are friends, it makes sense. Just promise me you won't become like them." She tells me.

"I won't, besides nothing is going to happen now, he doesn't even like me." I tell Hermione as we walk off to dinner. She nods silently.