2.6 Dueling Club

The next morning I get up, change and run out of the dungeons to find the trio. I sprint over to them before our potions class.

"H-Hey." I say out of breath from running.

"Oh good, you're here." Hermione says nonchalantly. "We have to create a diversion in potions today to take the ingredients for the Polyjuice Potion." I sigh and they get excited.

"I'll do it. I'll create the diversion, Snape likes me best anyways." They all smile at me. "I also heard the voice last night, who was it this time?" I ask Harry.

"Colin Creevy." He sighs

"That's the attitude Y/n." Hermione beams. We enter the class and begin to make our potions. I decide this is the time to have something go horribly wrong with mine. I put enough eye of newt and werewolf hair to cause a reaction. I know perfectly well this potion will bubble over, then burst into giant black smoke, giving them cover to get the ingredients. It's time.

"Uh Professor, as much as I hate to admit it, something is very wrong with my potion." I say worriedly as Snape hurries over.

"Well Ms. Opes I am sure it cannot be that bad." He tries, seeing my potion bubble then explode. Then entire class starts coughing and soon we have to evacuate the room. I see the trio run off and know where to follow them.

"I'm deeply sorry Professor Snape, but I think it's best if I go to the Hospital Wing, something in the potion bit me." I say and run away. He looks at me suspiciously.

"Even her father couldn't stay out of trouble." He mumbles. I quickly head over to the girls bathroom.

"Again? You mean the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?" Hermione asks Harry as I enter.

"It's been opened before?" I ask in horror.

"Of course. Don't you see? Lucius Malfoy must have opened it when he was at school here. And now he's taught Draco how to do it." Ron speculates as I roll my eyes.

"Maybe. We'll have to wait for the Polyjuice Potion to know for sure." Hermione tells them.

"Enlighten me. Why are we brewing this potion in broad daylight, in the middle of a girl's lavatory? Don't you think we'll get caught?" Ron tests us, why does he always have to talk.

"For once Ronald shut up and let me make this potion!" I shout adding things into the cauldron, following the precise directions.

"No. No one ever comes in here." Hermione reassures.

"Why?"

"Moaning Myrtle." She answers.

"Who?"

"Moaning Myrtle." We reply.

"Who's Moaning Myrtle?" Ron asks and I roll my eyes again. The ghost comes out of the toilet to visit us.

"I'm Moaning Myrtle! I wouldn't expect you to know me! Who would ever talk about ugly, miserable, moping Moaning Myrtle?" She tells the boys and disappears upset.

"She's a little sensitive." Hermione adds. I add the last ingredient.

"Okay, that's it for today. We come back in a week after things settle to do more." I explain to them as Ron and Harry sigh.

"We still have time to make it!" Harry beams.

"Make it to what?" Hermione asks.

"Dueling club!" Ron answers. We follow the boys out of the bathroom and into the Great Hall. 

"Gather 'round, gather 'round! Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me?" Lockhart begins. "Excellent! In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions- for full details, see my published works." The girls swoon once more, I can't take it as Ron and Harry snicker. "Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape. He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry- you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear." He commands as they walk away from each other and turn around. "One, two, three."

"Expelliarmus!" Snape shouts sending Lockhart flying back. All the boys and me cheer wildly, even  though it's Snape.

"Do you think he's all right?" Hermione asks

"Who cares?" Ron answers and Harry and I nod.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious- ah- what you were about to do. And if I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy." Lockhart boasts trying to cover himself up.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, Professor." Snape suggests.

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape! Ah... Let's have a volunteer pair! Um, Potter, Weasley, how about you?" Lockhart demanda.

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Might I suggest someone from my own house? Malfoy, perhaps?" Snape suggests but basically tells. Draco and Malfoy get up, making their way to each respective Professor.

"Good luck, Potter." Lockhart taps his shoulder.

"This can't be good." I tell Hermione and Ron, but everyone seems to be listening.

"Wands at the ready." Lockhart explains as Draco and Harry walk towards each other. Face to face.

"Scared, Potter?" Draco teases.

"You wish." Harry snaps.

"On the count of three, cast your charms to disarm your opponent- only to disarm. We don't want any accidents here. One, two—." Lockhart is cut off by Draco saying a spell.

"Everte statium!" He shouts as Harry flips through the air and lands with a thud. I gasp.

"Oh no!" Hermione shouts.

"Rictusempra!" Harry casts and Draco flies back nailing the ground. I gasp again. They send a few more dancing and tickling jinx's each other's way.

"I said disarm only!" Lockhart shouts in horror.

"Seems like they are just trying to impress the teachers. I nudge to Ron. But then I catch both the boys glance at me.

"It's not just the teachers." Ron pulls on my robes. I roll my eyes. He's got to be kidding.

"It's you!" Hermione whispers in shock. This is not the time for a pissing contest between 13 year olds. They are both my friends, honestly.

"Doesn't matter anyways." I reply as they look to me with open mouths. "Oh Ronald you're such a child. Crushes are crushes and they will get over them." I say back and continue to watch the duel. I do have to admit though, I've always had a soft spot for both boys.

"Serpensortia!" Draco shouts and I know what this spell does. A snake spits out of his wand and starts to slither towards Harry. The class gasps.

"Don't move, Potter. I'll get rid of it for you." Snape shouts.

"Allow me, Professor Snape. Alarte ascendare!" Lockhart yells and the snake flies in the air landing in front of Justin Finch-Fletchly.

"Don't hurt him." Harry tells the snake as it's head lifts from attacking the boy. Harry tried to convince it more and the snake is genuinely confused.

"Slither away while you still can. Please don't harm him." The snake immediately slithers towards me.

"You. It's you. A true descendant of Merlin , and of the snakes!" The snake talks back.

"Hi. Now please-." I try but the snake turns.

"Vipera evenesca." Snape points his wand and the snake evaporates.

"What are you playing at?" Justin asks Harry. "At least she got the snake away." He shouts pointing at me. I grab Harry's arm and drag him away from the scene. Hermione and Ron quickly follow, and Draco gives Harry a death glare. We go up to the Gryffindor common room before anyone speaks.