4.11 The Egg

I am practically carried back to the common room by Slytherins. They are cheering my name and suddenly Blaise sets me down, I guess he was the main carrier, one on of the black wood tables.

"There she is, our champion!" He shouts. Everyone begins to cheer, at first I am embarrassed, but then I try to take this moment to be confident. I stand a bit taller. Draco looks at me.

"Go on Y/n, what's the clue?" Pansy shouts. I look and everyone quiets down.

"Who wants me to open it? You want me to open it?" I shout and they squeal yes. I open the egg and a loud horrific screech comes out, then I close it again.

"What was that?" Draco says and everyone is dead silent now, even the mermaids hearing the horrific noise came rushing to the window. I jump off the table and sigh.

"Alright everyone, out. This is between Y/n and I." Draco commands and everyone follows suit.

"Thanks." I huff, sitting down on the couch after the long day. Draco comes and sits down next to me.

"You did great out there, we thought magic doesn't work on dragons though?" He asks me.

"Mine does." I sigh back. He gives me a puzzled look.

"You don't seem too happy about that." He responds.

"Well, it's not that I'm ungrateful...it's just why does it have to be me. I don't want this competition. I don't want Voldemort to come after me." I confess to him. Draco puts his arm around my shoulder and starts to rub my upper arm. My heart rate increases rapidly at this gesture.

"Shhh. It's all going to be." He comforts me and I lean my head onto his shoulder.

"The tasks get harder, and I don't want to know what they will be." I sigh looking out into the black lake. The mermaids are still there, watching us. I decide to life my hand up and wave to them. A few wave back and even give me a smile, then they swim away. "Listen, I need to get some rest. Thank you Draco." I say and he nods. We both stand at the same time, and we are very close, he's looking down at me.

"Goodnight Y/n." He smiles.

"Goodnight." I reply then go up to the common room and pass out in bed.

The next morning I run out of my bed, and towards the Great Hall towards Harry, Hermione, and to my surprise Ron.

"Good morning everyone!" I say cheerfully.

"Good morning!" They reply. Ron then looks sheepishly at his meal and faces me.

"Listen, I'm sorry. You and Harry must be bonkers to put your name in the goblet. Friends?" He asks bleakly.

"Always Ronald." I smile and sit down next to them. I turn to Harry.

"Did you hear that awful noise?" I ask about the egg.

"Oh yeah, it pierced my ears." He jokes and I start laughing. We all continue eating breakfast in harmony. Suddenly, Harry is looking at Cho. When she looks back he spills drink from his mouth. The Ravenclaws laugh at him, and Hermione and I roll our eyes. Why does Harry have to enjoy Cho.

Hermione is reading a newspaper when she shouts. "Look at this! I can't believe it she's done it again.
Miss Granger a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey sources report is none other than the Bulgarian bon-bon Viktor Krum. No word yet on how Harry
Potter's taking this latest emotional blow." She rolls her eyes. "Oh no, this next part is about you..." she looks at me nervously.