(36) Secrets

Arrow

The train finally came to a stop. It's dark outside now. Everyone piled off but Draco and I stayed behind.

"You two go on. We want to check something." I said to Pansy  and Blaise when they turned back to see us still sitting.

Draco stood up and pulled the black bag off the rack. He shut the cabin door and when everyone cleared out I shut all the blinds with magic. Someone's with us though and I can tell Draco knows it too.

"Didn't Mummy ever tell you it was rude to eavesdrop, Potter?" He whipped around and pointed his wand at one of the racks. "Petrificus Totalus." Something fell off the shelf and onto floor with a hard thud. Draco handed me the bag and walked to the invisible Potter.

He pulled the invisibility cloak off and Potter was in a daze on the ground of the train cabin. "Oh, yeah she was dead before you could wipe the drool off your chin." Draco stomped on his face. He pulled the invisibility cloak up "That's for my father. Enjoy your ride back to London." He covered Potter with the cloak and took the bag from me.

We exited the train and no one was on the platform. Draco and I walked side by side to the castle. I'm not going to lie I did feel pretty cool and powerful.

We arrived to the pile of the students belongings. They're tightening up on security this year. Great, that's going to make this so much more difficult than it already is. We tried to collect our things but Filch got in the way.

"What's this cane here, then?" Filch grumbled.

"It's not a cane, you cretin. It's a walking stick." My brother retorted.

I looked over at Potter and Lovegood. Their both watching us, Potter more so than Luna. I straightened my posture and sent a look over to Potter. He quickly looked to the ground to play off that fact that he was staring at us.

"It's all right, Mr. Filch. I can vouch for Mr. Malfoy." I turned my attention to Professor Snape who suddenly appeared and stepped in. Mother told us he's going to be helping Draco and I while we're here. Draco snatched the cane from Filch before turning his attention towards Potter.

"Nice face, Potter." I snickered a bit and quickly followed Draco and Snape to the castle.

•••

We gathered in the great hall for supper. I joked around with Draco and the others for a bit, hardly touching any food.

"You bumbling idiots! Are we really doing this again?" I said punching Blaise in the arm. They're arguing once again over whose my favorite. I don't know why it's so important to them.

Blaise was about to say something but Dumbledore started speaking. "Very best evenings to you all. First off, let me introduce the newest member of out staff, Horace Slughorn." Everyone clapped as the new teacher stood up. "Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say has agreed to resume his old post as potions master." What? I thought that was Snape's thing? "Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape." A few people clapped for him but not many. I feel kind of bad for him.

I turned to say something to Draco but he was staring at the table, unmoving, leaning his head against his hand. He looks like he's thinking very hard about something, which I'm sure he is.

"Now, as you know each and everyone of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who, like you sat in this very hall, walked this castle's corridors, slept under its roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle." Everyone started looking around, uncomfortably.