Safe | Chpt 93

Hey beautiful people, I love you all 🥰

Here's some context to what happened between Joue and Ms. Joke!!

https://my.w.tt/WEn3ojtROab

Also I completely forgot to upload. I forgot it was Saturday tbh, I actually had a day off 🙈

Enjoy~

(Y/n)'s POV

I sat down at the lunch table, across from Chouka. She glanced up at me, from her book and I offered her a half of my sandwich. She took it, biting off the corner before turning back to her book. It was quiet for some time, Chouka eventually taking out a blue highlighter, running it over a line in her book. She was heavy handed so it bled through the pages.

It was snowing outside so the lunch monitors that strolled up and down the spaces between the tables kept us inside during our break rather than letting us sit at the tables outside. There would be no use unless we wanted to sit in chairs covered with snow. It was warm and chattering on the inside however, feet resting in empty seats and some people's shoes damp from walking to school in the snow.

"You still want to become a hero?" Chouka asked and I nodded. She held out a hand and I instinctively gave her mine, even though I couldn't recall us being this close of friends. She drew a smiley face on my hand in blue ink, her highlighter replaced with a pen. I couldn't remember her ever retrieving one. I glanced at her half of the sandwich, which I could've sworn was pork but was now filled with cream and strawberries. I placing my hand in my lap, palm down to ensure the ink dried. It was a thick tipped pen, so the ink had bled into the slight crevices of my skin like the roots of a tree. The bell rang and we both stood on cue, Chouka handing me her book. I took it in my hands without question, bidding her goodbye.

"(Y/n)." I looked up to her, awaiting what she had to say before we left. "It's not over yet."

Did she mean the lunch period?

I headed out of the lunchroom and began my trek home. It was a beautiful, sunny, breezy kind of walk, though I was fairly certain it was snowing a moment ago. There was a long winding path home, but I skipped it and chose the shorter route. It would be easier to just head home quicker. Wasn't it just lunch? Maybe I was getting confused. I walked inside my front door, slipping off my shoes and heading for the kitchen to feed myself. I hadn't eaten the other half of the sandwich I kept for myself.

I walked past the man standing at the stove, stirring the pot. I sat down and stared at his back, watching his right arm disappear behind his chest and out again as he stirred.

"Get yourself some water, you're thirsty," he said and I stood up, doing as he said. Now that he mentioned it, I was quite parched. I didn't know why, I hadn't said a word. It was rather warm in here, perhaps that was why. I sipped the water as I headed back for my seat. I stared at the man's back again, watching him cook. "Don't get too comfortable."

Did he mean in my chair?

"Did you speak to Todoroki today?" I shook my head. "Did you speak to Deku today?" Once again I shook my head. "Bakugo?" No. "Mina?" Did they even go to my middle school? "Did you speak to anyone today?"

My eyes dropped down to the counter, considering the fact. Technically, in the time I had sat with Chouka, the season had changed along with her writing utensil. Lunch had become the end of the day. All of that...before I had even uttered a word to her. I hadn't uttered a word to her or anyone.

"(Y/n), who?"

I glanced up at the man, he was fully turned towards me. I was unable to look anywhere but his harsh grey eyes just like I was unable to speak. I couldn't see the whole of his face or even the color of his hair nor his shirt. I knew it was there, but I could not see past the 2 eyes focused directly onto mine. Those eyes looked just like mine, I knew them from somewhere as if the man were not a stranger.