Chapter Two

The first years were sorted and then Professor Flitwick went upfront with the Hogwarts Choir as they sang a song. When they Finished people clapped and Dumbledore came up to the golden podium.

"Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts.  Now, if I like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast," he said. "First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who's kindly concerned to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor." Everyone clapped and Lupin stood up and gave a snake bow.

Draco turned around to look at the Gryffindor table behind us "Potter! Potter!" He said until Harry and Ron turned around. "Is it true you fainted?" He asked and the boy on the other side of me made a fainting sound with his hand on his forehead. "I mean you actually fainted," Draco said laughing. "Draco!" I hissed. "Sorry Harry," I said.

Ron turned him around "shove off Malfoy," he said before turning around. Harry quickly turned his head to look at me. His cheeks tinted pink as he turned back around.

"What's your problem?" I hissed at Draco.

"What? Don't tell me you like Potter," he spat.

"Just leave him alone," I said. I could see Draco clench his jaw and glared at the back of Harry's head. What was up with him? He's been acting strange since the train. I looked at him for a while as he looked across the table at Crabbe and Goyle. He must have felt like I was staring because he looked at me and smirked. I rolled my eyes and turned back to what Dumbledore was saying.

"Care of Magical Creatures'' teacher for many years has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid," Dumbledore said and people started to clap.

I felt someone move closer to me and I rolled my eyes. "What Malfoy," I whispered.

"Nothing, Thronheart just trying to listen," he said into my ear.

"Malfoy!" I heard someone hiss. I turned to see Lucas glaring at Draco. "Move away from my sister!" He growled. Draco smirked and put his hand up laughing. Draco moved back a little but not much. I could still feel him close to me.

"On a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban. Until such time as Sirius Black is captured," Dumbledore said. I felt myself scoot back only to hit the body behind me. I hated having to deal with dementors. I felt an arm wrap around my waist "Don't worry I'll protect you, blood traitor," Draco whispered. I pulled away and turned to glare at him.

"The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day to day activities... a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you," Dumbledore said. "It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But, you know, happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times... if one only remembers to turn on the light."

After he was done everyone ate and then left for the dorms. The prefects take the first years to a separate entrance to the dorms. I was walking beside Hermione, Harry, and Ron when Lucas came up to me. "I'll see you in the common room," he said and kissed the top of my head. "All right!" I yelled after him while he shoved past people while dragging Aurora along with him.