Chapter Fifty-Five

I woke up alone, Draco wasn't beside me anymore. The room was filled with a dim, warm, glow of orange. The crackling sound of fire filled the air. I moved the covers off of my still naked body and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I looked at the end of the bed to see Draco's Quidditch Jersey folded neatly, laying on top of the black duvet. I let my feet touch the dark wooden floor and grabbed the jersey, slipping it over my head and letting it fall down my body. I looked around to see Draco's clothes were gone, so I could only assume he left to the Room Of Requirement or had to go to the Manor. I noticed a cream colors piece of parchment folded in half and propped up on his desk, sitting beside a small black box. I picked the letter up and opened it.

Darling,

I had to go work on the cabinet and didn't want to wake you. This is your real Christmas gift. This ring is a symbol of my love for you and my plans to marry you. Until we are joined in marriage, this ring is a testament to my commitment to our relationship. A promise that solidifies the bond between us. I love you forever.

Your Love,

DM

I could feel the tears burning my eyes as I read the letter. I put the letter down and picked the box up and took a deep breath. I open it to see a gorgeous rose gold 1.0 carat Emerald Green round cut promise ring with 2 small diamonds on each side. Tears fell from my eyes, running down my cheeks. It was simple and small, it was perfect. Draco knew I wasn't one for flashy things. It was a perfect fit. I don't know how long I stood there just admiring it when I left arms wrap around my waist. "Do you like it?" The familiar voice whispered in my ear. I turned in the embrace and looked into the gray, tired eyes of the boy I loved. "I love it," I whisper back. My arms snaked around his neck and I brought my soft lips to his slightly chapped ones. It was sweet and loving. It was full of love. It said what words couldn't.

Draco took the ring and slipped onto my left ring finger. I looked it to his pale blue eyes. They weren't bright like they normally were, his skin was paler than normal too, and he had dark circles under his eyes from not sleeping. I knew he would sneak out in the middle of the night to go work on the cabinet. He didn't need to tell me that. The stress of it having to kill Dumbledore was weighing on him. "You don't have to do it, you know," I said, looking down at the ring on my finger. "What?" He asked, confused.

"You don't have to kill Dumbledore. You're not a killer, Draco. You don't need your father's approval or to restore your family's position with Voldemort," I said, looking up at him. "You don't understand. If I don't do this he will kill you and make me watch before he kills me," he said. I didn't say anything for a few seconds. "It would be worth it, dying for you," I whispered. He pulled away from me, his facial features hard. "How could you say that?" He asked, angrily. "How -- how could you be so selfish?" He asked. "Draco --" I said. He shook his head and walked out of the room.

Holiday was over and everyone was back at school. Draco hasn't spoken to me since that night. He's spent most of his nights in the Room Of Requirement. I was walking down the corridor when I stopped. Ron was sitting down on the ledge of the large window, Lavender Brown next to him. She was putting something around his neck. "Will you wear it?" She asked. "Lav, come on. Of course I'll wear it," Ron said. "That's my Won-Won," she cued. I scrunched up my face at the interaction. Looking in front of me I saw Harry and Hermione. I shuddered and walked towards them. I had no choice. My next class was that way. "Excuse me, I have to go and vomit," Hermione said. As I passed Harry he looked at me. I just put my head down and walked away.

I ended up running into Hermione when I went into the girls' lavatory. I heard her sniffle and slowly walked up to her. "Hermione, are you alright?" I asked. She looked up into the mirror at me. "Y/N," she said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. "I'm fine," she said. "Well, if it means anything Ron looks absolutly miserable," I said. "He seems pretty happy to me," she said. "I don't think anyone can be happy around Lavender Brown," I said. She let out a little laugh. "Look, Mione, I'm sorry," I said. "For what?" She asked. "For -- for not being a good friend. I know you don't like Draco. He was horrible to you and I'm now dating him. I'm a shitty friend," I said. "You are a shitty friend," she said, smiling. "But, you're still my friend," she said. I smiled back at her, walking over and giving her a hug.

Later that night we were in the infirmary. Ron had eaten a bunch of chocolates that were meant for Harry. They were laced with a love potion, a very powerful one. Harry took him to Slughorn who have him a counter potion. But then they went to have a glass of Meade. When Ron took a sip he had fallen to the ground. Apparently it was poisoned. Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and I all sat in the infirmary with Ron all night. I stayed off to the side, standing behind Hermione. McGonagall, Dumbledore, Snape, and Slughorn walked in.

"Quick thinking on your part, Harry, using a bezoar. You must be very proud of your student, Horace," Dumbledore said. "Hm? Oh, yes, very proud," he said. "I think we agree, Potter's actions were heroic. The question is, why were they necessary?" McGonegall asked. "Why indeed. This appears to be a gift, Horace. You don't remember who gave you this bottle?" Dumbledore asked. "Which, by the way, possesses remarkably subtle hints of licorice and cherry when not polluted with poison," he said, passing it to Snape. "Actually I had intended to give it as a gift myself," Slughorn said. "To whom, I might asked?" "To you headmaster," Slughorn said.

I looked down and thought back to the day Draco had gone to Hogsmeade and had a bottle of Meade. I looked up and Snape was staring at me. "Where is he? Where's my Won-Won? Has been asking for me?" Lavender came running in. She looked at Hermione who was sitting on a chair beside the bed. I was right behind her looking at Lavender like she was a lunatic. "What's she doing here?" She asked. Hermione stood up. "I might ask you the same question," she said. "I happen to be his girlfriend," Lavender said. "I happen to be his -- friend," Hermione said.

"Don't make me laugh. You haven't spoken in weeks. I suppose you want to make up now that he's all interesting," Lavender said. Everyone was just standing there watching the interaction. "He's been poisoned, you daft dimbo!" Hermione said. I had to hold back a laugh and looked down to cover my smile. "And for the record, I've always found him interesting," she said. Ron started to mumble. "Ah. See? He senses my presence. Don't worry Won-Won. I'm here. I'm here," Lavender said. Ron mumbled some more. "Uh... Hermione... Hermione," he mumbled out. Lavender was horrified and ran off. "Awkward," I mumbled. "Oh, to be going, and to love's keen sting," Dumbledore said. No one said anything. "Well, come away, everybody. Mr. Weasley is well tended," he said.

I laid my hand on Hermione's shoulder before waking away, leaving her sitting on the side of the bed holding Ron's hand. I had to go find Draco and tell him his attempt at killing Dumbledore failed, again.