Chapter Fifty-Two

A couple days we were in the Great Hall eating breakfast. Draco and I sat a little away from his friends. He had lost interest in everything, including Quidditch. Today there was a match between Slytherin and Gryffindor. During the game Draco didn't even try to get the snitch. Gryffindor won and had a party in their common room that night. Draco had gone back to the Slytherin common room, changed and left again. I had been sitting on the sofa with Melina talking to her about our plans for the holidays. When I saw him leaving I excused myself and went after him. 

I found him at the top of the Astronomy Tower. It was cold, windy, and snowing. I wrapped my jacket around myself and walked up to him. He was leaning his hands on the railing looking out at the grounds. The tasks he has been giving has been taking a toll on him. I walked over to him, linking my arms through his and leaning my head on his shoulder. He didn't move, just continued to look out at the darkness of the sky. Once it got too cold I gently pulled him back inside and to my dorm room. We changed out of our clothes and laid down. Draco immediately laid his head on my chest and wrapped his arms around my waist. I kissed the top of his head and carded my fingers through his hair. His was only ever this venerable around me. He didn't let anyone see this side of him. 

A few days later Slughorn was having his Christmas party for the Slug Club. A few of the Slytherin's were part of it including Blaise and Melina. Draco had disappeared as always and of course I went after him. My heels clicked on the stone floors and echoed off the walls as I walked. Chinese lanterns hung from the ceiling as I walked down the corridor. They were set up for the party. "Draco," I called softly. "Here," I heard a soft quiet voice. I turned a corner and saw Draco sitting by a window. "There you are," I said, walking over to him. He grabbed my waist and pulled me towards him laying his head on my stomach and wrapping his arms around my waist. 

"I've never been to this part of the castle," I heard a soft voice say. "At least not while awake. I sleepwalk, you see," I recognized the voice to be that of Luna Lovegood. "That's why I wear shoes to bed," she said. I turned my head and saw her walk by with Harry. Not long after Draco stood up and laced his fingers with my. I didn't question, I just followed. It was better than him shutting me out. I was afraid if I asked questions he would distance himself from me. We walked up to the seventh floor and stopped in front of the wall. Draco closed his eyes and the door to the Room Of Requirement appeared. We walked in and went straight to the cabinet. Draco pulled the heavy martial off of it and stared up at the black, tall, wooden object. 

He opened it and set a green apple inside before closing the door. *"Harmonia Nectere Passus,"* he whispered, taking a deep breath while his eyes were closed. I stood back and just watched him. After a few seconds he opened the door again. I looked into the cabinet to see the apple had disappeared. It was called a vanishing cabinet for a reason. But that would mean there was a sister to it somewhere else. He closed the door and closed his eyes. *"Harmonia Nectere Passus,"* he whispered. *"Harmonia Nectere Passus,"* he whispered once more. He opened the door and reached into the cabinet. He pulled the apple out and turned it around. Someone had taken a bite out of it. 

As we were on our way back to the dorms  Filch had caught us. He grabbed my arm since I was closest to him. "Let go of her you filthy squib!" Draco said. Filch grabbed hold of him as well and escorted us into the party Slughorn was hosting. "Get your hands off of us, you filthy squib!" Draco hissed at him. "Professor Slughorn, sir. I just discovered these two lurking in an upstairs corridor," Filch said. "They claim to have been invited to your party," he told Slughorn. "Okay, okay, we were gatecrashing. Happy?" Draco said. Snape walked up and stood in front of us. "I'll escort them out," he said. Draco shrugged Filch off of him and then removed his hand from my arm. "Certainly, Professor," Draco said, looking at Snape. I looked over to see Harry and Hermione staring at me. 

Draco grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him out of the room with Snape right behind us. As we walked down the corridors Snape asked questions. "Does she know?" He asked. "I do. It's not his fault though. I followed him and forced him to tell me what was going on," I told him. He sighed and asked Draco about Katie Bell. "Maybe I did hex the Bell girl. Maybe I didn't. What's it to you?" He asked Snape. Snape suddenly grabbed hold of Draco and shoved him into the wall. "I swore to protect you. I made the Unbreakable Vow," He told Draco. "I don't need protection. I was chosen for this. Out of all others. Me. And I won't fail him," he told Snape. "You're afraid,  Draco. You attempt to conceal it but it's obvious. Let me assist you," Snape said. "No! I was chosen. This is my moment," Draco told him. 

After Snape let go of Draco he grabbed my wrist and pulled down the corridor. We were to go home for the holidays the next day. Once we were back in his dorm I asked him questions. I had to know now. I couldn't just ignore everything. "Did you want this? Did you want -- did you want the mark?" I asked. He was silent, not looking at me. His back was turned towards me. "Draco! Tell me right now. Did you want this?" I asked, getting frustrated. I heard him let out an annoyed sigh before he turned around, pushing me against the door, his hand around my throat. I gasped not expecting it.

  "Of course I wanted it. I have to restore his family’s position," he hissed. His face was so close to mine our noses were almost touching. "You mean you want to please your father. That's all you have ever tried to do your whole life. Your father is a horrendous person Draco, when are you going to realize that? Look what you have gotten yourself into. You're not a killer Draco. That is not who you are. You are not your father," I said, looking him in the eye. I brought my hand up and laid it against his cheek. His hand left my throat and his head fell onto my shoulder. I heard him let out a strangled sob and wrapped my arms around him, trying to comfort him as best I could.