Chapter Fifty-Six

A/N: kinda antsy but gets kinda better at the end.

After leaving the infirmary I headed to the common room. I ignored the stares I got from my friends and headed to my room. I paced back and forth debating if I should wait for Draco or go look for him in the Room Of Requirement. There was a knock on my door, bringing me out of my thoughts. I walked over and opened it to see Pansy. I sighed and raised my eyebrows. "Yes, Panst?" I said. "I just wanted you to know we all saw Draco leaving with Astoria like an hour ago. She had a smug look on her face," she said. "What?" I asked. "If you don't believe me, you can ask anyone in the common room," she said. I felt my stomach tie itself in knots, my heart rate picked up, jealousy, anger, and nausea set in as well. "Thanks, Pansy,' I said. 

I pushed past her and walked as quickly as I could out of the common room. I made my way to the seventh floor and stood in front of the wall that would reveal the door to the Room Of Requirement. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I thought about the cabinet and Draco. The door appeared and opened. I quickly walked in and they had a gut behind me. I walked down the aisles of objects stacked on each other. Some piles seemed to almost reach the ceiling. I heard hushed talking and slowed down. I came to a pile of tables, chairs, and boxes stacked on top of one another. Leaning just far enough out to see who it was, I saw Draco and Astoria face to face. 

Draco had his arms at his side and Astoria had hers around his neck. I felt anger build up in but I also felt my stomach knot up even more. A lump formed in my throat and tear began to brim my eyes. I wiped my eyes and took a deep breath to help calm myself. "I'm better for you, Draco, she will never understand you like I do," Astoria said. Draco didn't say anything just looked straight ahead. I noticed he didn't make any kind of me to push her away though either. "Its already arranged you know. For us to be married," I felt my heart stop. Without even realising it I had taken the promise ring off my finger. "When are you going to tell her?" She said. I could just tell by her voice that she was making some kind of pouty face. 

I probably should have just quietly left but I didn't. Instead I stepped out from my hiding place and just stood there. They didn't seem to even notice. I looked at the ring and then backed up. "He doesn't need to tell me, you just did," I said. Draco's head snapped to the side at the sound of my voice. "Y/N, Darling--" he said, moving away from Astoria, who pouted. He stepped towards me. "Stop," I said. My voice cracked and a tear slipped down my cheek. "Let me explain," he said. "You don't have to," I shook my head. I looked down at the ring one more time and slowly walked over to him. I grabbed his hand and laid the ring in his palm, closing his hand into a fist. "This doesn't belong to me," I whispered. I looked up at him and his eyes were glossed over with tears. 

"Darling, please, this isn't what you think. What you heard--" he said. I shook my head, turned around, and walked away leaving Draco standing there completely stunned. I walked back to the common room, tears running down my face. "Y/N!" Melina ran over to me and pulled me into her chest. I felt my knees buckle and a broken sobbed  left my throat. "Shh. I'm right here. I've got you," Melina whispered as she held onto me. I felt another pair of hands rub up and down my back. "I'm so sorry, y/n," Pansy said. "Come on. Let's get you up to your dorm," Melina said. Her and Pansy helped me stand up and walked me to my room. 

I sat on the edge of my bed and Melina helped me change into something more comfortable. Her and Pansy laid on either side of me until I fell asleep. I don't know what time it was when I felt the bed dip beside me and someone pull me into their arms. I didn't bother looking at who it was, I just assumed it was Melina and fell back into a deep sleep. When I woke up I was alone. I looked over to see my fireplace was lit and went to rub my eye with the back of my hand but quickly pulled it away. I looked down to see the promise ring back on my finger. 'Did I dream that whole thing?' I thought. But quickly realized it was Draco who came in last night and started to pull it off. "Please don't," I jumped at the voice and looked over to see Draco standing at the bathroom door. 

"Get out," I said. "Just -- please listen," he begged. "Why? Why should I listen? It was pretty bloody clear that you have to marry that --'' he cut me off. "Will you please just a shut up?" He said sternly. I jumped a little from him, raising his voice. He has never raised his voice like that of me. He sighed and put his head down. "I'm sorry," he said. I didn't say anything, just sat up against the headboard and pulled my duvet up closer to me. "I am not marrying Astoria. Nothing is arranged. Not yet anyway," he said. I scoffed at that and again tried to take the ring off. "If you take that ring off, I will punish you, he growled. It shouldn't have made me feel the way it did, especially since I was supposed to make me mad at him or hate him. But I shiver ran through my body. 

He looked up at me. It wasn't one of those loving looks he would normally give me. No, this was dark and dominant. "That ring never leaves your finger again. Do I make myself clear?" He asked. I didn't answer him, just stared too stunned to do anything. My fingers were still in the ring. "Answer me," he growled. I raised an eyebrow at him and then looked down at the ring. I should probably just say yes and be done with it but I was too curious about what he would do. So, with that I looked up at him with a straight face and started to slip the ring off my finger. A deep growl left the back of his throat and he was on me before I could even blink. He slipped the ring back down on my finger before he wrapped his long, cold, pale fingers around my neck. "I warned you."