Chapter 65: On The Heavenly Side

"Is something wrong, Uriel?" Garrett asked Uriel as they walk towards the Church.

"...It is nothing. I'm just thinking, is all."

"About the Champion, I presume?"

"Unfortunately..." Uriel sighed, knowing that Garrett knew what he was thinking about.

It has been a month since their encounter and fight with the Champion. They only went to the Champion because they needed to stop one of their members from making a colossal mistake.

However, they didn't know that the mistake was even bigger than they expected. It seems that Archbishop Darron's target wasn't the Champion but a little girl in a small village. Uriel and the others soon found out that the little girl was a Child of Zerris, who was the daughter of a fugitive Amarian soldier that left his country for a spy from the Helsing Kingdom.

However, despite these facts, what Archbishop Darron did went against the oath that was made after the end of the War of the Gods. All the countries swore to never invade another kingdom's land unless there are legitimate reasons from an unruly king to atrocities made that all other kingdoms find unpleasant and would like an end to it.

What the Archbishop did instead was invade the Thurmore Kingdom and devastated a village of innocent people. It is true that they had a Child of Zerris, but unless that child was in the Amarian Kingdom, he had no right to do so.

This wasn't even the bad thing about it. It seems that the Champion of Darkness was acquainted with the Child of Zerris along with the other villagers. When he discovered their demise by the hands of the Amarian Soldiers and Cult of Zerris, he lost control and went ballistic.

He slaughtered countless Amarian Soldiers and annihilated the Cult until only their leader was left. Uriel and the others with him tried to intervene before things got too out of hand, but he could hardly care and fought them as well.

Things escalated so bad that not only did one of the Archangels had to interfere, but also the Leader of the Angel Army who was also a Twin of Destruction. The same being that defeated the First Elder Kenos.

The destruction of that village caused so much chaos, and Uriel still needed to process what he witnessed during that time.

"So much has happened...and I feel as though we are in the wrong," Uriel confessed his feelings about what happened. He could not help but feel responsible for what happened, even if it were Darron that caused all this.

"I can't really blame you for thinking so," Garrett said. "I honestly feel guilty about it too. We're supposed to simply guide people to salvation, not becoming invaders."

"I feel as though we barely guided people to salvation. I've lived a long life, Garrett, and I've seen things that wouldn't be called 'guiding'."

Although Uriel is ashamed to think this, he's been around long enough to see the dark side of the Amarian Kingdom. Especially when it was first established.

At the time, the Amarians were still enraged that they were forced to sign some non-aggression treaty. They believed that Amaris was the one and true God that everyone should worship.

However, they weren't able to prove it because of her supposed Champion. It was the Champion of Light that proposed the treaty in the first place. And although the other champions agreed to it, the Amarians believed it was a mistake.

Because of this, the Amarians barely let anyone inside their territory unless they were worshippers of Amaris. And this behavior...didn't sit right with the Champion of Light.