Chapter 88: A Somewhat Warm Welcome

"I have returned, Lady Sayuri," The kitsune said while bowing.

"I'm glad you have returned, Kuzunoha," The Empress said.

She then turned over to me, her eyes trained on me like a hawk.

"It's good to finally meet you, Damien Crow," The loli empress said with a smile.

"Yeah..." I could only give a curt reply, though could you blame me?

Standing before me on a throne was the Empress of Askon...and she's a little kid! I mean, I suppose she's older than she looks, but I can't help but feel bewildered.

And don't give me that crap with Amy looking so young despite being older than this world. Even if that's a thing, it's still crazy to think about for me, alright?

Sure, I should be used to it, but sadly, I'm not. And this loli empress was no exception either.

Ignoring the Empress for the moment, it seems we appear to be in a very lavish temple. This place might actually be the castle where a ruler resides, which makes sense since there's also a throne in it.

The marble floor was so polished that I could see my reflection, and the red pillars surrounding us looked really cool too. Not only that, but everything here really gives off a Japanese air to it.

I've never been to Japan before, but I did see pictures and the like of buildings in Japan. Temples, shrines, regular houses, and those countryside houses. Anything other than that, I can't really say, but judging from the architecture and my very little knowledge of Japan, this place reminded me of it.

I then looked at the people other than the Empress of Askon. The first one that caught my eye was an older man with wolf ears standing at the Empress's side. That means he had to be a Beast-folk. He looked really handsome, despite that cold expression he had while looking at us.

He had black hair tied in a topknot and a really cool-looking samurai outfit. It wasn't armor, but cloth. It kind of reminded me of those ronin guys in Japan.

He was also carrying a sword, and judging from where I was standing, it looked like Katana. Not only that, but I can sense mana radiating off of it. That made this a magic weapon as well.

Thanks to my training with Zemmi, I could tell this guy was skilled. If I actually fought him, I don't think I would win if I just used my sword techniques. Hell, something told me that using magic would only give me a slight advantage against him.

This guy...he's definitely not someone I want to mess with.

There's also the man on the other side of the Empress. Unlike the samurai guy, this one looked like some businessman. He even had the long coat suit and tie to go with it.

Although, if it weren't for his masculine features, I would've mistaken him for a girl because of his long black hair. I think it went down to his lower back.

Anyway, just like that samurai, the dude in the suit was just as dangerous. I don't know why, but I feel like he's watching me...from everywhere in this room. It's like his eyes were all over this throne room.

Was he using some kind of skill like [Map] or [Monitor]? Whatever it was, I can't help but feel creeped out.

That's when I noticed a woman with green hair and bunny ears. That means she must be a rabbit-folk like Drake's partner. I think her name was Haga?

Just like the other two, I can sense a very powerful presence from her. She looks like some kind of maid, but she definitely wasn't some ordinary one. That much I knew for sure.