247 🩺 Yes Saem

It was an exhilarating yet terrifying moment walking the halls of the hospital once more. With none of his other classmates on the wards to run into, it felt odd to be the last one to approach the finish line, in a race where they'd all had their ankles tied together to finish and graduate as one...

Approaching the theatres, Yeosang had to bite back his pride and swallow his own words.

And just then, as if by perfect timing, Doctor Kim rounded the corner in his dark green scrubs. His eyes lifted, meeting Yeosang's, and a small triumphant smile surfaced.

Unsure of what to say, Yeosang kept his mouth shut, watching those old and knowledgeable eyes that he respected oh so much, study him.

Until...

'Well? What are you standing around looking pretty for? Are you scrubbing in or not?'

Gulping, snapped from his frozen moment, Yeosang nodded. 'Yes Saem.'

~~~

Listening to the rundown of the person on the bed before him, Yeosang stood back and watched the doctors take the handover.

However as he did, Kim Sa Bu suddenly turned to him. 'What are you doing standing all the way back there? Are your arms long enough to work from there?'

Yeosang's eyes widened. 'I-'

'Well?'

Collecting himself, Yeosang immediately gloved up and came to the side to assist.

But suddenly, Doctor Kim stood aside, giving up his position.

And Yeosang's heart stopped. 'Kim Sa Bu... What...?'

Following his movement, he watched the man walk around the patient, taking over from the first assist. Looking up, Doctor Kim widened his eyes as if to say what the hell are you doing?

And so shakily, with all of the medical staff watching, Yeosang walked around unsurely, into the position he had never taken on before...

'What are we doing?'

Yeosang stared at him, almost not believing what was happening 'A-... umm...'

'Ya focus! You came back, you made your decision. Now get your head in the game. What, are we doing?'

Yeosang gulped, glancing at the countless heads staring at him, waiting...

But as he didn't speak, Kim Sa Bu sighed. 'What are you doing standing there?'

Yeosang frowned. 'I- you told me to...'

'No, what are you doing here? Why did you come back? I won't teach those who don't know why they are doing the things they are doing. Who are you here for? Who are you completing your clerkship and degree for?'

Yeosang took a deep, steadying breath. 'Myself, Sir.'

Kim Sa Bu stared at him, scrutinising his face for a long moment.

'Are you, or are you not, a doctor?' the man said.

And Yeosang took a breath. 'I am.'

'Good. Then, Kang Saem. We learn by doing. So tell me, what are we doing?'

And Yeosang took a deep breath as he made his decision. He could do it... He'd seen it done a million times, and assisted before... He could do it...

'We will be conducting a simple appendectomy via laparotomy, with Kim Sa Bu as first assist...' He turned to the anaesthesiologist. 'Are we good to begin.'

And she nodded. 'Yes we are.'

Yeosang took a deep breath. 'Good. The time is seven oh-nine. We will now commence the surgery.

Mes.'

~~~

A/N: Lol I know as much about doctor-y shit than I know about dark matter. CRINGE