376 🩺 Short Uwu

Hongjoong sat perched on Yeosang's bed, watching him get ready for work. The blonde seemed quite solemn, yet calm... Dealing with his pain far better than he thought he himself would be able to.

'You know I've only got another month or so of placement left?' Yeosang asked, tucking his shirt into his pants and weaving a belt through the loops.

'It'll be gone before you know it. Enjoy it while it lasts.'

'I intend on it.'

Watching the blonde pluck his security tags from a bowl and pin them through a belt loop, he took a pair of socks from his cabinet and came to sit beside him to pull them on.

Hongjoong shuffled over, watching him with fond eyes. 'I forgot to tell you that I called some of my colleagues last week about potentially taking you on as a resident.'

Freezing, Yeosang suddenly looked up with wide, sparkling eyes... They were filled with hope...

One Hongjoong didn't want to shatter...

'I'm still waiting to hear back...' I'm sorry... Four of five said no...

Yeosang nodded, smiling a little before leaning over to nudge him with his shoulder. 'I know you too well to believe that, Joong. How many refused?'

Cringing, he could barely meet his eyes. 'Not all... I'm going to go and see my old mentor today while you're at work. He's stationed in the next town over at a small private hospital, but he was always a passionate tutor. I have high hopes...'

Pulling on his last sock, Yeosang faced him, crossing his legs on the bed. 'Hyung, it's okay if they say no. If I can't get a residency in paeds, then I was thinking I would try for emergency- or potentially even neonate...'

Hongjoong watched as his eyes sparkled, smiling along with his lips. Yeosang was so positive... So much so that he often wondered how he managed to push forth...

'Sang, you know it's okay to cry, right?'

The blonde smiled, shuffling over and leaning against his side, blinking his eyes closed and sighing. 'I know~. But I've done my crying~.' Humming a little, he swayed them gently. 'I know you and Woo both think I'm going to shatter at any moment, but I mean it when I say I'm okay...'

He nuzzled his cheek against his shoulder for a moment, before resting back again. 'I've spent almost my whole entire life, in pain, watching Woo suffer... I've watched you with your mom not being around, and then again when she was diagnosed with her cancer... I've watched every single year everyone put on their blacks for the death anniversary of not one, not even two, but four family members...

I am acutely aware of pain, and how it affects us... And so, as much as Jongho broke my heart, all my family are still alive and with me. I have everyone by my side that I need, and on top of that, we're doing really well. Woo is going to study, and you're solid in your job and almost going into your registrar years, and I'm working to finish uni, and it just feels good...

So Hyung, please believe me when I say I'm okay~. It hurts, of course it hurts. But I'm happy~.'

Hearing his words... Hongjoong had tears in his eyes... Tears that he could barely keep back. 'You're so strong,' he choked, turning towards him and wrapping his arms around him. 'You deserve so much better...'

Yeosang wrapped his arms around his back, smoothing down his hair over the nape of his neck before running his fingers back up through it. 'I get it from my brothers,' he said softly, swaying them together.

Hongjoong melted.

'No...

I think we get it from you.'

~~~