Chapter 18: Misunderstood

Bora Bora was anything but Bora-Boring. It's not called the island of romance for nothing. The water is of such amazing quality, from the rich velvet blues of the deep water to the softer turquoise of the lagoon. It's like a picture-perfect postcard and love at first sight. The group was shuttled to their resort, where they were given five-star treatment. They felt like celebrities, even though they weren't.

Each bungalow suite is located on the lagoon side of the island. It has views of the tranquil water and white sandy beaches. It features an oversized soaking tub. Perfect for soaking, relaxing, and cuddling. Although this is all wonderful, the main feature of the bungalow is the private deck. It comes equipped with two chaise lounges and steps leading down into the lagoon water. There's no need to go to the beach when you can swim right off your own deck.

Everyone spent their week living at the beach, the spa, the lagoon, and hiking the volcanic mountains. Mary especially enjoyed the snorkeling and shopping for pearl jewelry. She purchased a stunning pearl ring and necklace in town. One afternoon the girls spent their time at the resort's spa, while the guys jet skied around the island. It was there the tension in Mary's neck all but disappeared. She left completely tranquil. 

Although the best part of the trip was just relaxing with Bobby. Loving her husband is easy. Romancing him is more difficult. She always feels awkward when she tries to be romantic. Of all the things she could imagine, she decided to do something easy. She planned, and booked, a romantic dinner under the stars. They got dressed, he in khaki shorts and a navy v-neck tee and she in an off-shoulder maxi dress. Then they were met on their private deck. From there they were "rowed" over to their dinner destination, by traditional Polynesian canoe. The ambiance was top-notch.

Being the only ones at their private dinner, they had a lot of time to talk. They caught up on everything. Bobby shared Pastor Scott's praise of his marriage counseling skills. He also shared that Pastor offered him to stay on at the church, as a paid counselor, while he worked on his master's degree. Pastor Scott says he has real potential to be more than a counselor, especially as a youth minister. But "I don't know if I want to. I don't know if I'd be a good minister. I mean, sure I go to church, but I feel like I'd have to give a lot of stuff up. I feel like being a minister just isn't my thing. You know?"

Mary gave him a look of understanding. "I think you have time to figure it out. You don't have to make the decision today. But I will say, the students love you and listen to you. If you're truly supposed to be a minister then you'll know, in your heart." Mary told him this and then shared about her dance classes. She loves teaching tap and enjoys having time at home with Lydia too. It's the best of both worlds. 

Even though Madame Irina's dance studio is already one of the top in the state, Mary shared how she convinced her to publicize more. She told Bobby "We're getting girls from all over the metro area now. It's crazy. My classes have filled up for Summer and now there's a waiting list for Fall. Madame said I can expect a pay increase too. It's funny because I thought I'd wither away doing nothing when I decided to drop out of med school. I thought I'd not be living up to my full potential, but I don't feel that way now. I feel very fulfilled."

While Mr. and Mrs. Brown enjoyed romantic dinners, moonlit beach walks, kisses, and cuddles; the rest of the couples enjoyed the idyllic location of Bora Bora too. Lori and Johnny were still in honeymoon bliss. They barely left their bungalow suite, except for food. Dutch also left his room for food too, food for his pregnant wife's cravings. At one point he told Bobby, "Where the hell am I going to find celery sticks and peanut butter on this island?" Yes, where indeed? The basic culinary items of the island include fish, other kinds of seafood, tropical fruit, chicken, and coconut. "Good luck with that," Bobby remarked in shared understanding.