Chapter 54: The Dinner

The weekend before their anniversary, Bobby and Mary invited their friends over for dinner. While they loved being surrounded by their children, and their friend's children, it's nice with just adults too. Also, because they all eat a lot at Farm Fresca, they ordered out from the Mexican restaurant, Sombrero Sureño

The children were either left in the care of babysitters or grandparents. In the case of Grace and Lydia, they stayed with their grandparents. The twins stayed home with their parents since they're still babies. Mary and Bobby are so excited to be spending an evening with their friends. And on the weekend before their ten-year anniversary too. There's a lot to celebrate.

Thinking it was going to be hot outside, they were pleasantly surprised. The breeze coming in from the ocean prompted Mary to set the outdoor dining table. One of the best decisions she ever made was, having Mr. Raymond's crew, build the outdoor dining porch. Bobby agrees with that. 

Half-past five, they started getting ready. Mary wore her skinny jeans and white tank, while Bobby also wore jeans and a striped navy blue shirt. Everything is a comfy, casual feel, with great company. They told their friends to bring an appetizer and a dessert. Pot luck appetizers and desserts are always the best.

They even broke out their fancy wedding china, dinner, and dessert plates. To go with their cream-colored plates, Mary used pops of modern colors. Mixtures of gold, whites, blacks and bright colors graced the table. An example of this would be the gold napkin holders and turquoise drinking glasses. Another case would be the floral centerpiece. 

The centerpiece has an interesting story. It goes like this. "Bobby, can you please go to the grocery store? I have a list of things to get right here, on the island. And while you're there can you pick out two bouquets of flowers?" She saw him nod his head yes and pick up the grocery list. "Thanks! Make sure both bouquets are the same," she called after him. 

At the grocery store, he purchased everything on his wife's list. However, standing in the floral section of the store, he became stressed. Picking out flowers is not his thing. He remembered what Mary said: two bouquets, must be the same. It's summer, so he thought to go with some brightly colored ones. Summer is colorful, so why not? He grabbed the first splashy bouquets he could find. 

When he gave the flowers to Mary, she cringed inside. It's like Willy Wonka threw up on the arrangement. Jewel-toned flowers of hydrangeas, roses, mini calla lilies, stocks, cymbidium, and vanda orchids comprised it. In fact, it leans more to the neon side of the spectrum, and not as much jewel-toned.

Mary learned her lesson. Never send a man to pick out flowers. But at least he tried. She made the best of the arrangements and did what she could to make them look better. Now they sit on the table in a big vase, in all their flashy glory.

At six Mary fed the twins and changed them for the party. Rebecca wore a peach-colored top and bloomer short set. It has lemons printed all over it. She wore a peach headband around her head. Rhett wore a grey onesie T-shirt that says "stud" and a pair of denim shorts. Once they were dressed, she carried them into the living room, where Bobby was watching TV.

Handing Rhett over to him, she sat with Rebecca. "So, what are we doing for our anniversary?" she asked him.

Laughing, he reminded her "I remember you saying you wanted to be surprised."

She fluttered her eyelashes at him. "I said that?" She's totally joking, of course, she remembers saying that.

He gave her an unamused look. One that says who are you kidding? In response, she stated "Joking. I do want to be surprised, but I also want to know how to dress."