Chapter 63: Tantrums

The next year passed by quickly and before they knew it, 1997 is shaping up to be a banner year. At the end of 1996, two new babies were born. Tommy and Gemma welcomed a beautiful baby girl into their family. She looks like her mother but has her father's hair. They named her Emmie, after much debate.

 Tommy thought she should be named Emma, but his wife said "It sounds too much like my name." Gemma thought her name should be Emily, but Tommy disagreed. 

"That is so stuffy and boring. We're neither of those things, Honey," he claimed. So, they came to a compromise... Emmie. It's kind of a play on both their names. She was born in September.

The other baby was another sweet girl, born to Lori and Johnny, in November. When they first learned they were having a girl, Johnny freaked out. "Oh, God. I'm dead. It's going to be nothing but ballet and pink tutus and baby dolls. They're so, so prissy." He of course said all of this to his guy friends, not in the hearing of his wife. 

Well, the sympathy he expected to get did not happen, especially from Bobby. Being the father of three girls himself, Bobby tried to reassure his brother-in-law. "It's not as bad as you think. Sure there are all of the things you mentioned, but some girls (like Lydia) are less girly than others. Now take Grace, she's as girly as they come. Rebecca, I can't really say what she's like, because she's only two, but I think she's going to be like Grace. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is having a girl is not terrible." 

Johnny did not look convinced. So, Bobby went on. "Look Man, when you've had a bad day and all you want is to relax. You sit down in your favorite chair. Then your little girl comes and sits in your lap, and gives you a big hug and kiss on the cheek. And she says in her sweet voice "Daddy I just want you to know you're the best Daddy. I love you." That feeling is the best feeling in the world. Grace does that a lot. It's almost like she knows when I'm feeling down. She gets that from Mary. Girls are cuddly."

Looking at his brother-in-law, Johnny acknowledged "I guess I'll give it a try. But if she wants me to play tea party, I'm out. I draw the line there." He was so sure of himself when he said this. Then he took one look at his newborn daughter's face, and he took back all the crazy things he's said about girls. Well, almost everything. He still thinks they have tiny hollow bones and shouldn't do rough karate. Taking one look at her little bones confirmed that, in his mind. His daughter will not do rough things. No! Not on his watch.

Unlike Tommy and Gemma, he and Lori did not have a debate on the name. They knew exactly what they wanted to call her. In honor of his mother and his wife, they named their daughter Ella. Laura starts with an L and so does Lori. So, Ella, it is.

Dutch and Ashley are also expecting again. With both Gemma and Lori having little girls, Ashley has hoped for one too. However, she is destined to be the mother of little boys. "Oh well. It's OK because I have these boys who stole my heart. They call me Mom. And one day they'll change the world if they can find the time between picking up their socks and farting," she explained.

They have decided to keep with the three-letter naming thing they have going on. So in October, Jed and Fox will be joined by their baby brother Axl. When asked why Axl, Dutch disclosed his thinking. "First of all, it's a cool name. Who wouldn't want to be friends with a guy named Axl? Second of all, why would I not name my child after the lead singer of one of the greatest bands ever? Here's to the lead singer of  Guns and Roses, Axl Rose."

In other baby news, Jimmy and Gwen are not pregnant. But they are adding a dog to their family. Logan and Luke have been begging them for one. So a German Shepherd, Roxie, will be coming home with them soon. The puppies won't be born until August.