Chapter 73: Return Of The Shrew

With the start of a new school year, came the start of a new routine. Carpool duty has changed again. With Lydia attending their Alma Matter, West Valley High, Bobby takes her. Mary now drives Grace and the twins. The three of them attend Bayside. It's a good morning routine.

Although Mary misses her mornings with Lydia. However, the switch has brought unexpected joy with her twinnies. Similar to Rhett and Bobby, she and Lydia now have mother-daughter time one day a week. Unlike father and son, there are no monster trucks for them. Mani-pedis all the way or lunch at He Said, She Said, Bread. It's this great sandwich company in town that opened up last year.

On the third week of school, Mary arrived in the carpool line with twenty minutes to go. A new record for her. "Everyone ready for a new day?" She has the chipper car. Bobby has Lydia, who's turned into an angst-ridden, moody teenager. Everything he says to her is met with either a groan or "Dad you don't understand. I wish Mom was here." It prompts him to agree with her.

The kids answered yes to her question. Lots of cars were parking in the lot, cars that dropped off children. That's weird. Has she missed something? "So, can someone tell me why all the cars are parking and moms are getting out?"

Rebecca responded. "Yes, Mommy I can. They're here for the first-grade mom's meeting. Remember?"

Oh, shitake mushrooms. That's today! Looking at her outfit, she's so not dressed for this. This is the kind of day where the kids are all dressed like GAP models and she's on the third day of the same pair of yoga pants. Not to mention a T-shirt with Rhodes's vomit, a long cardigan, and flip-flops. This does not pass for the mom's meeting attire. And oh yeah, forget the fact she's wearing no makeup and her hair's in a messy bun. She looks like a frickin' hobo.

Grace must have sensed this. Cause the next thing she knew, she was handed a tube of lip gloss. Bless her little sweet heart.

After the kids exited the SUV, she pulled into a spot and parked. Looking into the visor mirror, she applied the gloss. Fruity with sparkles is not her thing, but it will have to do. Then she attempted to fix her messy bun and dug through her tote to pull out deodorant. She swiped it on and spritzed herself with Bath & Body Works. That store is a Godsend. A bottle of Sweet Pea is kept in the vehicle for just these very occasions. With a final glance, this is as good as it's going to get. Grabbing her bag, she exited the SUV and silently prayed for nonjudgmental looks. 

Inside the ladies of the front office directed her to the media center. Gingerly she stepped down the hall. All the way to the school's media center, her shoes sounded loud after her. Flip-flop, flip-flop, flip-flop. Hoping to go unnoticed, she slipped in and took a seat towards the back. Unfortunately, the head of the first-grade mom group, Cheri Mason, saw her. She waved and came to speak. 

With a hug, Cheri asked "Mary are you still on for the brunch next week? Remember, you signed up at the end of last school year in May." As she took in Mary's attire, she sent a patronizing look of you poor haggard woman her way.

Oh, that. "Of course. Just remind me of the day and everything will be great." Mary noticed Cheri's nose wrinkled like she smelled something gross. Despite the throw-up on her shirt, hidden by the cardigan, she doesn't stink. It's obvious she's being snubbed.

Cheri told her the date and moved along to her next victim. Thank goodness she's gone. Mary collapsed into the chair. But no sooner had she sat down, than her worst nightmare come to life, waltzed into the room. A face she never hoped to see again, with a trail of noxious perfume following behind her. Hair still big and boobs still pushed up so high that even God himself would want to smash them down for irreverence. Instantly she froze and stiffened and tried to scoot her chair farther into the stacks of books.