Chapter 22: Hiding Places

Later in the week, they took the pastor's wife's advice and told their family and friends. Telling their family first was difficult. Her aunts boohooed, as did his mother. Of course, they vowed to help out however they're needed, even if it means keeping Lydia for days at a time. All things considered, it went well. Then came telling their friends. It proved more difficult to share the news with them than their family.

Everyone was invited to their house for dinner. They all showed up, even cute little Jed snuggled in his dinosaur onesie. The only ones who didn't make it are Gwen and Jimmy. They felt Luke is still too young to travel just yet. This is understandable, as Mary and Bobby were the same way with Lydia. 

When they all arrived, Tommy scrambled over to Mary. Looking like the sketchy man on the corner of Fifth and Plaza, he discreetly passed off an unmarked paper bag. Hiding it under her sweater, Mary snuck it past her husband (or at least she thought she did). As they were sitting around the table eating the delicious dinner of pizza (except for Mary she had grilled chicken, much to her displeasure) Bobby questioned his friend. "So, Tommy what was in the bag you gave my wife?"

Mary coughed on her water, while her husband continued. "Was it junk food, candy, sweets, or all three?"

Not even allowing Tommy to answer, Mary poked her finger in his arm. She cried out, feeling tears well up, "You are so mean! Why do you have to take all the stuff away? And why do I have to eat this boring food? I just want a piece of pizza. He said to limit, not to quit." Her tears flowed in full.

At that moment, Bobby felt like crap. Which is not uncommon these days, especially since she complains about no sweets. "Why do you have to do that? Why do you have to make me out to be the bad guy? I'm doing the best I can to make sure you're healthy, as well as the baby. And I'm sorry, but that's more important. I'm tired of fussing about this." He got up, left the table, and then exited the house through the patio doors.

Knowing he hardly ever loses his cool, and especially with his wife, Tommy whistled. Johnny asked "What's that all about? You're in tears and he's upset."

Wiping the tears on her sweater sleeve, she responded to his question. "It's part of the reason we invited you all over. But I don't want to talk about it without Bobby." She stood up. "I'm going to go get him. Please stay and wait for us. Just don't leave." Then she took the route her husband went and hoped she could find him.

She did as he wasn't even far away. Noticing him sitting on the outside sofa, underneath the covered pool porch, he looked tired and worn out. Why hasn't she noticed this? If he was worried before (with her migraines and PPD), he must be losing his mind. Clearly, she was too busy pouting about having no chocolate to be able to see.

Coming closer, and sitting beside him, he kept staring away into the distance.  She took his hand in hers. "I don't want to fuss. In fact, I want to apologize. I'm sorry I burdened you with my craving for sweets. It was selfish of me. I promise to try and be better in the future." 

Angling his head and body toward her, he spoke. "Just don't make me feel like the bad guy. I already feel enough things as it is." He saw her nod and reached into his jacket pocket. He passed a candy bar to her.

Glancing at the treat, then at him, she declared "Is this a joke? Are you going to snatch it away at the last minute, like Lucy does to Charlie Brown?"

He chuckled. "I was going to give it to you after dinner. You've been patient enough with eating healthy. Plus it's sugar-free," he told her.

A grimace graced her face as she bit into it. "It tastes like cardboard, but it's better than nothing. Thank you."