Chapter 28: Complications

Baby Grace woke up. When she did her doctor and the team of nurses examined her. Her vitals was good, but still not out of the water yet. Grace stayed in the NICU for two weeks after birth. During this time, her mother recovered from the C-section. 

After a week of no skin-to-skin contact with baby Grace, Mary and Bobby were finally allowed to go in. They could administer Kangaroo Care, and hold her on their chests so her ear is close to their hearts. This calms the baby. Mary was allowed to feed her. With no close contact with her baby for a week, it was proving a little difficult at first. But with a kind nurse's assistance, Grace got the hang of it. 

Also during this two-week stay, Grace's parents had to attend classes. Dr. Sherman wanted them to fully regiment themselves with standard cardiac homecare. They had to take CPR, car seat, nutrition, and cardiac surgery discharge classes. It sucked, but it's important for them to know these things. Bobby thought the car seat class was stupid since they've already had one baby. Mary agreed. They both attended the CPR and surgery, discharge classes, together.

The surgery discharge class is the most important one of all, besides CPR (which they both had in college due to the nature of their degrees). It provided them with guidelines they didn't think about before. One thing was for four weeks after Grace comes home, every person who touches her MUST wash their hands (even family members). Pick her up from the bottom, not the arms. She can have tummy time, as long as there's no pain. Chest to chest and chest to shoulder contact is safe. There are other things but all of this made them be more aware, of their own actions.

On the night before Grace got to come home, Mary worried over the nursery. She wants her little girl home, but she wants her to be safe. After rewashing all the linens and baby clothes, she disinfected every surface again. The stuffed animals were washed too. Before she could wash the walls, Bobby stopped her. 

"Sweetheart, you're wearing yourself out. You've cleaned every inch of this room from top to bottom. You're still recovering yourself. Please come with me and lay down," he begged. She was worrying him. She hasn't been eating right, and she's cleaning and cleaning and cleaning all the time. Lydia has been an afterthought. He's concerned she's going to end up back in the hospital from collapsing. She literally just came home this week.

Rehanging the curtains, Mary responded. "I just need to finish these and then—-" Bobby wrapped his arms around her. 

With as calm a voice he could muster, he stated "No. You don't need to do anything else. The curtains are hung. That's it. You can do this the easy way, with you going into our bedroom yourself. Or you can do this the hard way, with me picking you up and carrying you there. Which is it?" He gave a look that meant he is serious.

"But Bobby, Grace comes home tomorrow. The floor needs to be cleaned, the windows need—" She didn't get to finish speaking, because he picked her up over his shoulder. To the bedroom they went, where he put her down on the bed.

Their mattress felt good to her back. She's bone-tired and running on fumes. Her muscles ache and her eyes are heavy. And if her husband knew her lower belly is in pain, from pushing herself too hard after coming home, he'd have a fit. If she lays down, she'll never get up. That can't happen. There's too much to do. Her brain is pushing her on, but her body is weak. Trying to get up, she sunk back down.

Bobby helped her change, then laid down himself. "Look I know you want to do more, so much more. But Mary your own body has to heal. It can't if you're pushing yourself. I know Grace is coming home tomorrow. You want everything to be perfect. I do too, and it is. What is she going to do if her mother is too worn out to take care of her? And what about Lydia? She hasn't seen you in weeks, and now your time is going to be devoted to Grace. Mary, it's OK to admit you need help." Tired and worn out, he put a hand over his eyes.