Chapter 26: A Surprise

Going by without much fanfare, were the months of June and July. True to her word Mary, helped Ashley plan Jed's first birthday party. His theme was "Wild One" with a nod to the book Where The Wild Things Are. Mary had Ash purchase a long-sleeved and long-legged white onesie. Then Mary took it to her printer's, where she had them screen print oversized brown buttons (going down the front). On the back of the onesie, she had them write Wild One.

The outfit was made complete with the crown. At the fabric store, Ashley purchased gold glitter foam and fur. Mary crafted the crown by cutting out the spires from the foam and hot gluing the fur around the bottom. Inside the condo, they set up a tall, white, tee-pee tent, with a fur rug on the floor. Coming off the top and attaching to the wall, is the banner Lori created. It read "A Wild One", with gold crowns separating the words. She is also creating a wild things backdrop. Which will be displayed behind the cake table. 

Then they went to a nearby bakery, I Knead You. There the girls ordered dozens of cupcakes with brown, gold, cream, and white liners. The tops will be iced with a cream-colored frosting and chocolate cutouts of Max and the "wild things". Super cute! They also purchased sugar cookies in different shapes. Some are number ones, and others are of Max and the wild things.

Dutch is making his son's cake. Eight layers of chocolate goodness. The bottom portion is to be decorated like a tree stump, and the smaller top layers are iced cream with gold flakes. One the "tree stump" will be a carved crown with the words "Wild One". 

At the party supply store, dozens of balloons were bought in gold, grey, creams, and green. Along with them all the party staples like plates, cups, napkins, table cloths, and silverware were purchased too.

The party was a smashing success! All the adults raved over the theme and how cute Jed looked. His grandmother's affirmed Ashley's statement of how Mary should be a party planner. Jed racked up gift after gift and, unlike Lydia, did not smash his face in the cake. 

July turned into August. One muggy morning in late August a very pregnant Mary, accompanied her husband as a chaperone. The church youth group planned to go to Six Flags, for the day. The youth minister had caught a stomach bug, and Bobby was left in charge. Not wanting to be left alone with sixty students, and six parents, he begged his wife to go. 

Mary shook her head. "Ugh, Bobby! It's late August. It's hot and humid. I'm LARGELY with child. I'll slow you down by wanting to sit and pee, plus I can't ride coasters. I'd just be in the way," she told him. It's the truth.

Somehow her husband managed to sweet-talk her into it despite her protests. His flowery words, kisses, back rubs, feet massages, the promise of doing whatever she wanted for one full day, and chocolate did the trick. Plus he promised to buy her a Mistic juice drink. He knows she loves those.

The day of the park trip saw them drop Lydia off with her Aunts. The minute Mary stepped outside the humidity hit her. She felt the sweat stick to her and thanked heavens her hair is in a messy bun. This is SO not how she wanted to spend her day. Following along after her husband and sixty kids does not make a fun time. But at least she's wearing a white tank top and shorts, although she really wishes she hadn't worn denim ones. Huge regret!

When they arrived at the church, Bobby took out his checklist. There was a surplus of students who signed up for this outing. The church had to rent a van, on top of the two it already owned. All of the thirty-six middle schoolers would ride in them. This left the twenty-four high schoolers to ride in adult-driven vehicles, Mary's Land Cruiser included.