Chapter 70: Birthdays And Boys

After the turn of the new decade, Tommy and Gemma moved into their new house. Everyone pitched in to help with the move, except Mary. Bobby didn't want her to do any lifting with her being pregnant.

Even with all of the gang on the island now, Mary and Bobby's house is still the get-together house. They continue to host their once-a-month group dinners. However, it now seems at least one couple comes to their house every weekend. They'll laugh, talk, and eat. 

After Tommy and Gemma's move, in January, Lydia turned fourteen the next month. She had a preppy sleepover. It was a big to-do, even though she said she didn't want a big party. At the last minute, she changed her mind. "Tiffany had a sleepover. I want to have one too, Mama. Please." As if Mary could say no, it's her birthday after all. 

Since Lydia's favorite colors are pink and orange, Mama Bear bought tons of pink and orange supplies at the party store. Balloons in shades of pink and orange were filled with helium, along with a variety of hued streamers. She added some gold in with the decorations just for a nice contrast. Pink and orange tablecloths were placed on the table, and so were pink and orange straws and napkins. 

Bouquets of pink and orange flowers were arranged. Coral and peach blooming roses, pink and orange carnations, and pink gerbera daisies rounded them out. They looked beautiful with the pink and orange frosted cupcakes and glass jars of the colored gumballs. Cans of pink cherry and orange Crush soda were placed on display too.

But the cake, oh the cake! Verbena outdid herself with this one. A six-layer perfection. Orange icing graced the layers all around. Pink icing was placed on top and melted down the sides, for a cool effect. Pink and orange candy confetti was placed along the bottom with pink macaroons. Candy orange slices were arranged on the top and the sides. It looked fun for a teen cake.

The party was a sensation. All of Lydia's girlfriends talked about it for days after. As much as Lydia loved her party, she loved the effort her mother puts into making birthdays special. The morning of her day, her Mama had placed pink and orange balloons in her room. Streamers hung down from her door and her birthday letter was placed on her pillow. 

Her mother always writes each child a special birthday letter. She's done this ever since Lydia had turned five. As soon as they're old enough to read, and understand, a personal letter is written. Lydia has saved every one of them. This past year, in particular, she'd take them out and read them. 

For breakfast, her daddy made her favorite chocolate chip pancakes, and then her Mama cried "My baby is growing up too fast." Ever since "the accident " she and her mother have grown closer. Her Mama started back driving her to school again too. In fact, she drives both her and Grace. Which makes for an interesting dynamic. The twins still ride with their Daddy. 

It's been semi-peaceful in the Brown house, save for the twins and their riotous energy. But now it's the weekend of the twin's sixth birthday. There's so much to be done. When Mary asked them what kind of party they wanted, an instant answer of "Tacos" was shouted out. Only her unique babies would want tacos for their birthday. She laughed at them when they said that.

As the ideas started pouring into her brain, she went to her favorite printing shop and ordered invitations. In the shape of a cactus, they read "Our Prickly Pair Are Turning 6". Then she had them screen print T-shirts for the twins too. With a cactus printed on the front, the shirts say "Turning 6, Can't Touch This"