Chapter 80: Christmas This Year

Christmas this year, while difficult for the adults, was good for the children. Although Mary is still mourning, and coping with, the loss of her beloved aunt, she found joy through the eyes of her children. This is especially true with the twins. They're still young enough to experience the joy, the wonder, and the magic of Christmas.

It comes in simple ways with them, ways that most people toss aside. Like when the family is gathered around watching a Christmas movie together. The family always watches two movies, every Christmas together as a big group. They invite Grammy and Grampa over too. One movie they watched at home (Miracle On 34th Street) and one they went to see in the theater (the live-action How The Grinch Stole Christmas). 

Rhett was so into Miracle On 34th Street, that when Lydia stated "It's so silly to believe for impossible things like that girl. No one is just going to give you a house. Things like that just don't happen in real life." She's too tainted with teenage realities. Her Christmas spirit has dulled somewhat.

But Rhett, having no filter on his mouth (like any first grader), told his sister what's up. "Amazing things happen at Christmas Liddy. You have to believe in it. You believe in God, miracles are like that. But only if you believe." His Christmas spirit is still burning bright. He sipped his soda, then informed the room "I believe. I believe in miracles. I believe Santa will bring me my own kid dirt bike like Daddy used to have."

Terror filled both his parent's hearts. One because this is the first time they've heard him say anything about this. Two, because it's two days away from Christmas Eve. Three, because Mary remembers that highway death trap of doom. Her baby is too young for one of his own. 

After the movie and the kids had dispersed, Mary and Bobby had a HUGE conversation about the dirt bike. "He's too young. He could get hurt," Mary told her husband. She's adamant about this.

Bobby disagrees. "Sweetie, he could get hurt anytime he steps onto the football field. Yet you let him play. Same difference." He's adamant about this too.

She huffed out a breath and turned her head. Mr. Raymond decided to intervene before tempers really flared. "If I may. Mary, Bobby got his first dirt bike around Rhett's age. They come in kid sizes and are perfectly safe, probably more so now than when he was a little boy. If it would make you feel more comfortable, kneepads and elbow pads can be purchased with it."

Not entirely convinced, but also not wanting to be the Christmas Grinch, she looked at her husband. "And you would teach him? And you would hold onto him and not let him get hurt? I'm serious Bobby."

Looking back at her, not breaking her gaze, he acknowledged "Oh I know you are." Anything involving the safety of the children, she's deathly serious about. "Of course I'd be the one to teach him. I'll even hold onto him, cause he'll ride with me the first few times. But I can't promise you he won't get hurt. There's no way of knowing that. Same as the time he fell off the tractor and broke his arm." He tried his best to reassure her.

In her spirit, she knows this, but her mind makes it difficult to agree. However, she does realize it's in the same vein as football. "I can't believe I'm saying this. Alright, you can get it for him. But you also have to get the knee pads and elbow pads, and all the things, to go with it." 

Bobby's face burst into a vivid smile of delight. She knew she had just given him the keys to the kingdom. It's like some manly rite of passage. Then she reminded him of something. "This is actually perfect. If you can help Rhett drive, then you can do the same with Lydia next year."